Psychopathology in Children and Adolescents
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nia Williams
This module explains various mental health issues that children can face, with a particular focus on their development and impact. The module will consider the possible causes and development of a range of mental health issues in children. The module will also address various evidence-based treatment available for each mental illness. The module will discuss what agencies are available to support children experiencing such issues and how practitioners can work with children in supportive and empathic ways. The module will also discuss wider, social issues concerning mental health in childhood and will consider how these affect the experiences of children.
NOTE: In 2020-21 this module will run across 5 weeks from week 11 to 16
This module will provide an opportunity to investigate and discuss a range of mental health difficulties that children and young people experience and their impact on the child, including: - Eating disorders - Personality Disorders - Childhood Depression & anxiety - Emotional and Behavioural Disorders - Childhood schizophrenia
The module will also consider how we can work with children to address these issues and provide support as they navigate childhood.
Threshold (D-, D, D+): A satisfactory understanding of current theories of mental health in childhood. Demonstrate an ability to discuss the short and long-term outcomes for children living with mental health difficulties based on satisfactory research evidence. Show a basic awareness of the impact of societal ideas about mental health on children. Be able to identify the professionals that work with these issues and of the strategies used to help children affected by a range of mental health issues.
Excellent (A-, A, A+, A*): A comprehensive understanding of current theories of mental health in childhood. Demonstrate an ability to thoroughly discuss the short and long-term outcomes for children living with mental health difficulties in detail. Show a thorough awareness of the impact of societal ideas about mental health on children. Show an excellent ability to identify the professionals that work with these issues and recommend a range of strategies used to help children affected by a range of mental health issues and discuss their efficacy.
Good (C-, C, C+): A good understanding of current theories of mental health in childhood. Demonstrate a good ability to discuss the short and long-term outcomes for children living with mental health difficulties on the basis of reliable research evidence. Show a sound awareness of the impact of societal ideas about mental health on children. Show a considered ability to identify the professionals that work with these issues and suggest the most appropriate strategies used to help children affected by a range of mental health issues.
Demonstrate an understanding of the wider, social context of mental health in childhood and consider the impact of societal attitudes on children’s mental health.
Describe the characteristics and main diagnostic criteria of various mental illnesses in children and adolescence
Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the research based, likely, long term outcomes for children who are experiencing various mental illnesses and critically evaluate treatments available for them.
Describe the characteristics and main diagnostic criteria of various mental illnesses in children and adolescents
Be able to identify the agencies and professionals that can provide support for children experiencing mental health difficulties and their families.
Show proficiency in at least two disciplinary areas as part of a film making team, including: producing/production, management, screenwriting, directing, editing, audio, special effects and research.
Work collaboratively with a team or individually to produce a documentary based on a real life case file.
- Describe and evaluate main biological and cognitive theories linked to various mental illnesses in children and adolescents.
|Mid Term Online Short Answers Class Test||45.00|
|Documentary Based on one particular Mental Illness||45.00|
|Weekly MCQ and short answer questions||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
two hours weekly seminars
Students will be given specific workshop on how to put together a documentary
3 @ 2 hours/week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches including: - the necessary depth and strength of relationships with individual children and children in groups and the facilitation of the building of relationships with and between children - the formation and promotion of mutually respectful relationships with families colleagues other professionals and communities
- critically explore examine and evaluate the significance of the cultural historical and contemporary features of various policies institutions and agencies in regard to babies young children and childhood
- plan for and where appropriate implement play and the curriculum assessment evaluation and improvement of creative learning opportunities taking account of young children's health and emotional well-being
- lead support and work collaboratively with others and demonstrate an understanding of working effectively in teams with parents carers and other professionals 11
- demonstrate an understanding of how to plan for and where appropriate implement meeting and promoting children's health well-being protection and safety and the conditions that enable them to flourish
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
Davey, (2014) Psychopathology, Research, Assessment and Treatment in Clinical Psychology.
The Filmmaker’s Handbook, 3rd Edition by Steven Ascher & Edward Pincus
Anderson, T. (Ed.) (2014) Understanding Deviance: Connecting Classical and Contemporary Perspectives. Abingdon: Routledge.
Burton, M., Pavord, E. & Williams, B. (2014) An Introduction to Child and Adolescent Mental Health. London: SAGE
Cairns, K. (2002) Attachment, Trauma and Resilience: Therapeutic Caring for Children. London: BAAF Essex, M. J., Klein, M. H., Slattery, M. J., Goldsmith, H. H. & Kalin, N. H. (2010) ‘Early risk factors and developmental pathways to chronic high inhibition and social anxiety disorder in adolescence.’ The American Journal of Psychiatry vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 40-46.
Giordano, S. (2013) Children with Gender Identity Disorder: A Clinical, Ethical and Legal Analysis. London: Routledge.
Holliday, R. E. & Marche, T. A. (2013) Child Forensic Psychology. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Hooper, C. (2012) Child and Adolescent Mental Health: Theory and Practice. Hoboken: CRC Press.
Jaffa, T. (2006) Eating Disorders in Children and Adolescents. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Johnson, J. G., Cohen, P., Kasen, S. & Brook, J. S. (2002) ‘Childhood adversities associated with risk for eating disorders of weight problems during adolescence or early adulthood.’ The American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 159, no. 3, pp. 394-400
Kring, A. (2010) Abnormal Psychology. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons.
Liabo, K. (2007) Conduct Disorder and Offending Behaviour in Young People: Findings From Research. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
McDougall, T., Armstrong, M. & Trainor, G. (2010) Helping Children and Young People who Self-Harm: An Introduction to Self-Harming and Suicidal Behaviours for Health Professionals. Abingdon: Routledge.
Weis, R. (2014) Introduction to Abnormal Child and Adolescent Psychology. London: SAGE.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 2 (BA/API)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 2 (BA/CYS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 2 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 2 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 2 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/PIC)