Psych of Childhood&Crime
Psychology of Childhood and Crime 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1
This module will look at various cases of offending such as murder, child abduction, rape etc and students will critically discusses the factors, prevention, and intervention strategies for children as perpetrators and victims. The module will also investigate child suspects, criminal responsibility, false confessions and suggestibility.
- Based on theories and previous cases, develop a thorough understanding of the wider, social context of crime in childhood and adolescence and consider the impact of societal attitudes on child crime.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding and cause of various offending behaviours and critically analyse various cases based on theoretical and evidence-based knowledge.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the current justice system, the trial process and eye-witness testimony.
- Develop a thorough and critical understanding of the impact of crime on children and adolescence development.
- Show proficiency in at least two disciplinary areas as part of a film making team, including: producing/production, management, screenwriting, directing, editing, audio, special effects and research.
- Understand various psychological factors and theories associated with offending behaviour and critically evaluate evidence-based interventions that are currently used to reduce offending behaviour.
- Work collaboratively with a team or individually to produce a documentary based on a real life case file.
Mid Term Online Short Answers Class Test
Journalistic film investigating a particular crime case
Weekly multiple choice test, short answer questions