Casual Workers Process

The term 'casual worker' refers to anybody who may work for short periods on an ad-hoc basis on behalf of the University. This is usually for one-offs or certain events and does not include regular contracted staff (although University staff taking on additional one-offs outside of their usual contracted employment or job function can also register).

The University adheres to the government's 'Good Work' plan. Any persons looking to work for short periods for the University must be registered with us prior to any work being allocated to you or being undertaken so it is worth registering. Registration takes a couple of minutes and will involve an ID check.

Any questions please direct to

Registering for Casual Work

You will not be able to undertake work for the University on a casual basis without registering and proving your eligibility to work within the UK. Acceptable evidence to support this is described in the following document.  You may be asked to upload photographs or scanned copies of your eligibility documents; these need to be of good quality, in colour and be legible.

Once you have filled in the registration form at your registration will be sent to a reviewer. Depending on your origin the process regarding confirming your identity may vary. 

UK and Irish Nationals with an in date passport will be be asked (via email link) to supply copies of id to an authorised (by government) 3rd party provider prior to undertaking an id check (either via Teams or in-person).

UK and Irish Nationals with no passport, but other forms of id, will need to provide copies of their id with the registration then undertake an in-person check with a reviewer when invited.

Non UK and Irish nationals will need to use the Government Share Code site.  Not all individuals will have an immigration status that can be checked online. However, if the Home Office has issued you with a digital immigration status we can use the online service to prove your right to work if you provide us with a ‘share code’ which allows us to access your information online. British & Irish nationals with an in date British or Irish passport/ID card can use the IDVT digital Right to Work checking process.  The University has agreed to work with TrustID who are a Home Office certified Identity Service Provider (IDSP) to undertake these checks.

Full explanation provided in the FAQs below.

Once you have been successfully registered you will be sent details of how to access your Bangor University IT(e-mail) account, if you do not already have one. You will need to use this to make payment claims.

If you see a message from Microsoft as shown below during the process you will need to click Accept on the request to use your profile information.

Microsoft Permission request popup

Receiving Casual Work

Registering for casual work does not guarantee that work will be given to you only that you meet the criteria for eligibility and that all the initial checks are complete. Members of staff will be able to commission work from you and will allocate it to you through this process. When you are allocated work an e-mail will be sent to your University and Home e-mail accounts detailing the period and nature of the work together with the rates of pay offered and the maximum amount of hours allotted for the work.

Unless you have received an e-mail originating from this system allocating work to you do not proceed to undertake the work. It is imperative you do not start on work given to you verbally following the 1st April 2020.

If you hold a Tier 4 visa which entitles you to work please ensure that any work you undertake does not exceed your visa restrictions (normally 20 hours per week term time, 40 out of term but may be less if you are on a short-term visa or not on a degree level course). Please remember that the restrictions are for the total of all hours worked in the UK not just any role at the University.

Making a Claim for Payment

Once you have completed the work you should register your claim at  Here you will see all the outstanding work allocated to you and will be able to record the actual number of hours the payment will either be at the end of the current month or the end of the following month. E-mail communication will be generated and sent to you to keep you advised of the progress.

You can only claim once against any specific entry i.e. no part claims then coming back later to claim the rest.

Once you have submitted the claim it will be sent for approval to the individual named on the work allocation. Once the approval has been made the payment will be generated. Depending on when the approval is made. Payroll cut-off is usually 10th of month (although December and Easter month it may be brought forward) so any approved claim completed before that time will be paid in that payroll run, otherwise it will be made at the end of the following month. 

For precise details of Payroll Timetable section  

Claims for expenses payments are not handled by this system and will (if relevant) be made under the University’s existing procedures for travel and subsistence.

FAQs for Casual workers

  • How do I use my digital immigration status to prove my right to work (share code process)?

    If the Home Office have issued you with a digital immigration status you can use this to prove your eligibility to work in the UK by using the UK Government’s ID check facility:

    You will need to indicate the type of immigration status you have (e.g. I have status under the EU Settlement Scheme ; I have a biometric residence card or permit; etc) then follow the online guidance depending on type of permit you have indicated you have. You will be able to then generate a share code which you can record on the casual worker system as noted below. Please note, the share code is only valid for 30 days and should therefore be shared with us promptly.

    You will still need to do attend a video call (TEAMS, Zoom etc) or in person meeting to enable the ID checker to verify fully that you are the person whose photograph is in the online document.

    You should follow the process set out below:

    • 1. Register with to get a share code at
    • 2. Follow the online instructions to generate a share code. Remember to make a note of the end date of your eligibility to work/visa (this is not the 30 day expiry date of the share code).
    • 3. Select the share code option in the casual worker registration system as shown below and record the expiry date of your visa in the Eligibility End Date field on the form
  • How do I use my in date British or Irish passport/ID card to prove my right to work? You will receive an e-mail direct from Trust ID with instructions on how to complete the digital check – you must use a mobile device (phone/tablet etc but not a laptop) 
  • What happens with pre agreed work if the worker doesn’t complete the claim form or do the work? Reminders will be sent to workers who haven’t claimed. Claims not made within 3 months would be forfeited. 
  • How long are registration documents valid for?  Registrations will be valid until the end date shown on the share code document.  Workers who are British/Irish nationals will not be constrained to an end date and have currently lifelong validity.
  • How long will the application process take?
    This depends on how long the id check takes. It can be pretty much straight away once the check is done. Registrations expire within 14 days so it is important you chase up the relevant id checkers before this time.
  • I haven't been paid, who should I go and speak to?
    E-mails will be generated by the system at each stage of the payment journey and will keep the worker fully informed. The only requirement following the claim is that confirmation is provided by the person commissioning the work. This person will be named on the work allocation and will be known to the worker through the e-mails generated. This is the person who will be able to release the claim for payment. Once this has occurred the system will keep the worker informed of when the payment will actually be made.
  • Will I have to pay Income Tax and/or National Insurance ?
    This depends on your circumstances. Usually you'll pay Income Tax. If you need guidance please email with your circumstances.
  • What do I do if I have incurred any expenses in undertaking the hours allocated?
    You now have to enter via iTrent - Time and Expenses Entry area. You must have agreed the payment of expenses prior to putting in the claim else it may be rejected.
  • What do I do if I’ve submitted a timesheet with the wrong hours?
    Inform the organiser of the piece of work as soon as possible.
  • How will people without valid National Insurance numbers be paid?
    It is mandatory that you have a NI Number. You may be able to acquire one from HMRC but this could take 2-3 weeks approx. to obtain. Speak to the person intending to offer you work if this is likely to be a problem.
  • Can I have an advance on my payment?
    No, advance payments can not be made. Your payments are made in line with the standard payroll timetable so last working day of the month.
  • How do I register if I only have a non-UK bank account?
    Currently this option is not available.

Those members of staff nominated as reviewers of registrations will be required to confirm that the casual worker is eligible to work in the UK and that they have presented the relevant documentation as shown here to support this.

The casual worker may upload images of their eligibility evidence to the site or enter details of their share code if the Home Office have provided them with a digital immigration status. If a share code is provided this can be verified via the government site (see FAQs). 

The identification check process differs depending on the origin of the casual worker.

Or, if they are a UK/Irish national with valid passport their details need to be passed (by you)  to a 3rd party organisation for initial checking. Once done, the 3rd party organisation will respond via email and you can load this information to the application.

You still need to undertake an in-person verification of the identification information prior to full approval (although a Teams call will be acceptable for UK/Irish nationals with a passport).

For the id check, the worker will be asked to make an appointment to see you where they will bring the original documents for you to check that the uploaded images are accurate and sufficient proof of eligibility. For those who have provided a share code, or will use the IDVT digital Right to Work checking process,  they will still need to do attend an in person meeting to enable you to verify fully that they are the person whose photograph is in the online document.

At the same time a workflow task will be generated and sent to you via email, which allows you to approve or reject the registration, this will include a link to the documentary evidence they submitted. You should only approve the registration once you have had sight of the original documents. If the type of evidence given is one which is marked as Human Resources are also then required to request the information be verified as valid by the Home Office Employer Checking Service. You may only start work once a Positive Verification Notice (PVN) has been received? you should not authorise the registration until you have requested the check be undertaken and the result has been received back from the Home Office. If the PVN indicates the individual is not eligible to do the work then the registration request must be declined.

This is a one-time only process and will be valid until the end date of the validity of the documents or until 13 months after their last casual work engagement.

Just a reminder that there is a section on the HR website: Working in the UK which provides links to useful UKVI pages to support you in this role. You might wish to take a look at the Guide to right to work checks which take you through both the manual and online checking process step by step.

If the casual worker has indicated they wish to prove their evidence by using a share code you will be required to follow the online checking process where you use the share code to access their details. Full explanation provided in the FAQs below.

FAQs for Reviewers of Registration

  • Who checks the documents if the worker works in multiple parts of the university?
    When the workers registers they are asked which department they are most likely to work in. This is the department that will perform the document check. It is done once and the result is valid across the entire University for all casual work engagements.
  • How do I check and process online documents (share code process)?

    Not all individuals will have an immigration status that can be checked online. However, if the Home Office has issued their immigration status digitally you can use the online service to prove their right to work if they have provided you with a ‘share code’ which allows us to access their information online.

    If they have provided you with the share code you must ensure you upload the verification document from the Home Office system into the secure area for the ID checks for UKVI audit purposes. You should follow the process set out below:

    1. Open the ApplicationForm.pdf file that is present in the document bundle at the SharePoint link.

    2. Retrieve the share code from the document and use this along with the casual workers date of birth to access the service and download the proof from the government site.

    3. Either by video call (TEAMS, Zoom etc) or an in-person meeting verify that the individual you’re employing’s face matches that in the photograph in the online document.

    4. Upload to the evidence folder on the Sharepoint site the proof you’ve received from the government site.

    5. Carefully check the end date for eligibility to work matches that entered by the worker. Only approve the application if this date is the same and that the facial ID check succeeded. In all other cases the worker’s application must be rejected and asked to re-submit.

  • What do I do if the type of evidence given is one which is marked as Human Resources are also then required to request the information be verified as valid by the Home Office Employer Checking Service. You may only start work once a Positive Verification Notice has been received?

    The Home Office Employer Checking Service process can take 5 working days and work cannot commence unless a Positive Verification Notice (PVN) is received. Where this is a requirement you should not immediately authorise the registration but::

    · contact the HR Assistant who supports your College/School/Department (details can be found on our website – please use Enquiry Type Contract Queries and then select your College/School/Department and their details will appear)

    · the HR Assistant will request some further information on the role to be offered and the casual worker and will then submit an Employer Check to the Home Office

    · Once the Home Office respond HR will share with you the response which will either confirm you have a Positive Verification Notice (PVN) and can proceed to employ the individual or will clearly say the individual cannot be employed. If they have any restrictions, on the type of work they can do or the hours they can work, this will be noted on the Home office document.

    · You should then upload the Home Office document to the Casual Worker’s document storage area and then record the end date of the PVN on the system before proceeding to authorise. If the Home Office have indicated, you cannot employ the individual then their registration request should be declined.

  • Will a person be able to undertake work if they haven’t brought in originals of their registration documents for verification? 

    No. The originals of the documents must be seen beforehand before a person is eligible to undertake any casual work. This is a legal requirement.

    However, if the Home Office has provided an individual with their immigration status digitally and the individual has requested you access their documentation via use of a share code  OR  the individual will use the Trust ID IDVT digital Right to Work checking process, then you do not necessarily need them to be seen physically in person and may choose to do this via video call (TEAMS, ZOOM etc) instead.
  • How do we handle document check when the casual worker is only in Bangor on the day they are required to work?
    Law demands that eligibility to work is carried out prior to work being commenced. Those commissioning work should ensure that high quality scans of the eligibility documents have been submitted prior to travel. The electronic system will almost instantly process the information thus provided that original documents are consistent with the submitted images there should be minimal delay (minutes not days) in issuing the approval once they are here.
  • What should I check for on the document? Check the picture agrees to the applicant and ensure the validity dates on the document are correct and are currently valid. If the document is due to expire soon, point this out to the worker when they contact you.
  • How do I check and process British & Irish nationals using the IDVT digital Right to Work checking process? Please see the detailed user guide
  • If a person contacts me to undertake an ID check who I have no knowledge of, what should I do? There is nothing to stop you doing this in fact we encourage you to do so. They make have selected the wrong department on their application but they will be working on behalf of the University so there is nothing to stop you validating. They may work for your department somewhere down the line.

If you commission work from casual workers you need to do so through Unit4 Business World solution. No casual work can be undertaken by workers without it first having been approved within the system. Work can be commissioned by anyone within the University with access to U4BW (formerly Agresso) but won’t be handed down to a worker without first being approved by one of the designated individuals within the College/Directorate. They may impose local policies on who ultimately is allowed to commission work within their College/Directorate and may reject all requests not conforming to those rules. Only those casual workers who have registered through this system will be available to be offered work within the system.

When you commission work you will need to set the maximum number of hours allotted for the work and the rate of pay applicable to it. These are displayed on the webform when you complete the request. Once submitted this is then sent to be approved electronically.

Once the work has been allocated to the worker following approval the worker may then make a claim for it. As the person commissioning the work it will be up to you to check the work was done. Their claim will be sent to you electronically as a Payroll workflow task in U4BW for you to approve - you will also recieve an email notifification. You must do this in a timely fashion as otherwise you will be holding up payment to the individual.

Please be aware, the rate approved may differ from the rate claimed.At times in the year the rates may change, including the Real Living Wage. If this occurs the worker will be paid the rate applicable at the time the work is undertaken, which may differ slightly from the rate agreed. Bear this in mind when approving work. Changes could happen at any time but especially May 1st and August 1st.


A Guide to Casual worker request forms

Casual Worker Reports

The Casual Work reports are located in U4ERP (UBW/Agresso).

Click on the Reports section on the left and then xpand Casual Worker Reports.

3 reports (currently):

  • My COSTC Casual Work Requests (data for all casual work forms within the cost centres (departments) where you are a casual work approver).
  • My Casual Work Requests (data for all casual work forms that you have created)
  • My Responsible Casual Work requests (data for all casual work forms where you are the designated responsible person)

FAQs for Commissioning work

  • If additional work is required on top of an existing request, can that occur?
    The hours defined are the maximum that are allowed, and no additional hours can be entered. Another work request would need to be added for this to occur.
  • How do I commission work if I don’t know how many hours are likely to be undertaken?
    The option would be to put in an estimate within the project budget. Don’t make this excessively large, remember, you can always add another.
  • What is the process if I am looking to employ somebody who lives and will work from abroad?
    Please refer to Bangor University specific policy for Overseas Workers.
  • Who is a 'responsible person' on the casual worker request form? 
    A responsible person is the work supervisor who will have knowledge of whether the tasks were undertaken and to what level. That person needs to be a U4ERP(Agresso) user as the claim will come in and need to be agreed by that person.
  • What happens if a casual worker registrant gets a contract? 
    Usually their existing casual worker record would be closed. In these instances the person would need to re-register (but as an internal applicant). Sadly this means that any work items already assigned to them become inaccessible so will need to be re-created (but with the staff ID instead). There is no facility currently to 'move' these work items.
  • Can I retrospectively put on some work for a casual worker that has already been undertaken?
    No. It is now (since April 2020) a legal requirement to present a casual worker with a ‘Statement of Work’. The Casual Worker system and process has been designed to ensure this is undertaken (using the [instructions to casual worker] box on the screens setting up the work).
    For further information see:

As approvers of casual work you are responsible within your College / School / Directorate / Department ensuring that sufficient funding is available to cover the proposed work and that the engagement meets the University’s policies and legal requirements. Eligibility to work will already have been established as part of the registration process. If in doubt the work request should be rejected. Remember that in this process no work will be started until it has been approved therefore it is essential that decisions are made as quickly as possible.

Please be aware, the rate approved may differ from the rate claimed.

At times in the year the rates may change, including the Real Living Wage.

If this occurs the worker will be paid the rate applicable at the time the work is undertaken, which may differ slightly from the rate agreed.

Bear this in mind when approving work.

Changes could happen at any time but especially May 1st and August 1st.

A Guide to Casual worker request forms

FAQs for Approvers of Casual Work

  • What if I want to be able to use an hourly rate not displayed in the dropdown box?
    Use the ‘Other Rates’ under the Rate dropdown box when adding an item and define the rate in the Non-Standard Rates area of the form.

Current Hourly Rates payable

It looks like you’re visiting from outside the UK, would you like to be redirected to the international page?