America on Film
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Nathan Abrams
The aim of this module is to gain a further understanding of American Film History, how America and American history has been depicted on film and how film can be used as a tool to study history.
This course examines how American History has been represented on film from the 1960s to the present as well as how film can be used to understand and study American History. It is taught by weekly 2 hour seminars, and the module will cover topics and themes in the history of America, including Vietnam, Watergate, Reaganism, Clintonism and the Bush Era. Screenings will be shown as appropriate and may include The Green Berets, All the President's Men, Rambo, Terminator, Independence Day, Hostel and Munich.
(D-): To achieve this level a student will have completed all the Learning Outcomes to a level of competence. Written work will be of a basic professional standard displaying qualities of motivation, and the ability to pursue ideas through to a conclusion, accompanied by evidence of critical reflection. It should be clear also that the student has developed the range of intellectual, practical and transferable skills implicit in the aims of the course.
(C) : Good : This grade indicates competence throughout, with evidence of good levels of achievement in most, if not all Learning Outcomes. There will be coherence between finished written works, working processes and research activity.
(B) : Very Good : To achieve this grade a student will have exercised competence in most, if not all Learning Outcomes, and will have demonstrated excellence in at least one. Written work should be distinctive, approaching publishable quality and supported by related further study. There should be ample evidence of independent thought, good levels of motivation and the acquisition of a wide range of subject-specific and transferable skills. There should be a clear indication of the potential to pursue studies to a higher research level.
(A): To achieve this grade a student will have demonstrated a high level of achievement throughout and excellence in a substantial proportion of the Learning Outcomes. The written work will be distinctive and professional. There will be ample evidence of related research, a thorough exploration of ideas, working processes and the inventive use of appropriate genres and forms. It should be readily apparent that the student has the ability to pursue higher levels of study and the potential to operate successfully in a professional context.
To identify and understand the critical issues in American History and Film.
To acquire an awareness, understanding and appreciation of the use of film as historical evidence.
To appreciate the significance of how American History has been represented on film.
To learn how to gather and select a wide rangoe of resources, material and eveidence and to arrange them into coherent argument.
To learn how to "read" a film "text", deploying the appropriate critical and technical terminology.
|INDIVIDUAL BLOG||Weekly Blog||20.00|
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Group or individual podcast||30.00|
|Written assignment, including essay||Final Assignment (either written or creative)||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
66 hours of workshops and screenings
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 3 (BA/ELFS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/FSCW)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 3 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MSIE)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)