Office telephone number: 3689
Room Details: F5, Thoday Building
B.Sc. (Cum Laude), M.Sc. Biology, Central Mindanao University, The Philippines
PhD Title or Subject Area:
Conservation Biology: Ethnobotanical Knowledge and Nutraceutical Potentials of Indigenous Plants Utilized by the Local Communities of Mindanao, Philippines
Professor Morag McDonald
Dr. Sophie Wynne-Jones
Dr. Paula Roberts
This is an interdisciplinary project that looks at potential economic benefits that could be accrued from Filipino indigenous plant species. In the Philippines, as in many tropical countries, there has been degradation and loss of habitat of natural plant resources. Hence, there is an urgent need to systematically document the economically important plants used by local communities and investigate the potentials of these plants as both food source and medicine to increase their conservation value.
Plant Taxonomy and Ethnobotany
- Naive, M.A.K., D.P. Buenavista, N.P. Mendez. 2018. New Distributional Records of Utricularia striatula Smith (Lentibulariaceae) in Mindanao, Philippines. Philippine Journal of Systematic Biology 11(2): 1-4
- Betanio, J.M.G. and D.P. Buenavista. 2018. Elevational Pattern of Orchid Rarity and Endemism in Mt. Kalatungan, Mindanao Island, Philippines. J. Trop. Life Science. 8(2): 108-115. doi: 10.11594/jtls.08.02.03
- Buenavista, D.P. 2017. Contributions to the orchid flora of Mindanao Long-Term Ecological Research Sites, Philippines. Biologica Nyssana. 8(1):31-38 doi: 10.5281/zenodo.963339
- Naive, M.A., M.D. De Leon & D.P. Buenavista. 2016. A New Cylindrolobus (Orchidaceae) Species from Bukidnon, Mindanao, Philippines. Orchideen J. 4 (5):1-5.
- Amoroso, V.B., D.A. Antesa, D.P. Buenavista & F.P. Coritico (2014) Antimicrobial, Antipyretic, and Anti-Inflammatory Activities of Selected Philippine Medicinal Pteridophytes. Asian J Biodivers 5(4): 18-40. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7828/ajob.v5i1.479
- Member, Royal Society of Biology
- Member, Association of Systematic Biologists of the Philippines
- Member, Biodiversity Conservation Society of the Philippines
- Biology Instructor, Department of Biology, Central Mindanao University, (2011-2016)
- Integrated Science & Biology Teacher, Mindanao State University – Wao (2010 –2011)
- Research Assistant, National Research Council of the Philippines Project (2009 – 2010)
- Research Assistant, Central Mindanao University Research Project (2008 – 2009)
I studied biology for my B.Sc. and M.Sc. with emphasis on plant taxonomy in the Philippines. Before attending Bangor, I was involved in biodiversity projects carried-out in the Mindanao Island. I continued my research interest in tropical plants through my PhD project dealing with Philippine ethnobotany. This project is funded by the Newton-CHED Scholarship programme of the British Council and the Commission of Higher Education (Philippines).