Databases - Design & Implement
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Andy Harbach
To provide an in depth understanding of the database design process, and a range of implementation issues including transactions and recovery, and security. To be able to create a relational database using MySQL.
• Database design methodologies;conceptual, logical and physical design; conceptual database design methodology;use of ER modelling to build a conceptual data model.
• Deriving a set of relations from a conceptual model; validation using normalization techniques; validation with respect to transactions;merging local data models to obtain a global model.
• Mapping a logical design to a physical design; designing base relations for a target DBMS; designing general constraints; selecting file organizations for transaction processing; using indexes; designing user views; security mechanisms.
• The need for database security; Types of threats; Mitigation techniques; MySQL grant tables; Understand how a firewall can protect a database in a web based environment.
• Properties of transactions; concurrency control; database backup and recovery; the database administrator role. Understand professional issues and responsibilities (e,g, backup)
• Creation of database tables using MySQL. Understanding of foreign key constraints and views.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Be able to create a relational database implementation using MySQL.
Understand and apply a conceptual database design methodology
Understand and apply a logical database design methodology for the relational model.
Understand and apply a physical database design methodology for a relational database.
Understand database security issues.
|GWAITH CWRS||Implementation Lab||15.00|
|PRAWF DOSBARTH||Class Test||40.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Conceptual Design Lab||15.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Logical Design Lab||15.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Physical Design Lab||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
To include reading around the subject, revision, finishing lab work and completing assignments.
Formal lectures covering theory and demonstrating practical topics.
Practical sessions writing SQL and using appropriate modelling techniques to design a database system. Includes marking where students are expected to explain their work to a member of staff. Also includes class tests.
Interactive sessions covering writing SQL, case studies, and revision.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Knowledge of systems architecture
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain information systems
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/icp-3027.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- I110: BSc Computer Information Systems year 3 (BSC/CIS)
- I11B: BSc Computer Information Systems (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/CIS1)
- IN00: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business year 3 (BSC/CISB)
- IN0B: BSc Computer Information Sys for Bus (4 year w Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/CISB1)
- IN02: BSc Computer Information Systems for Business (Franchised) year 3 (BSC/CISBF)
- I111: BSc Computer Information Systems with International Exp year 4 (BSC/CISIE)
- I11P: BSc Computer Information Systems with Industrial Placement year 4 (BSC/CISP)