Computer Graphics 3 Rendering
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Prof Jonathan Roberts
To present details of advanced computer graphics rendering, visualization and techniques used to create high quality 3D computer graphics applications. To allow students to improve their development skills and make consideration of alternative designs, especially using sketching and low-fidelity techniques, in the context of computer graphics and visualisation. And to enable students consider the future of computer graphics.
Strategies for alternative designs, and planning strategies for the development of graphic systems and using the Five Design Sheets methodology. Structured methods to critique graphics systems, and methods to summarise and simplify of ideas.
Computer animation pipeline and techniques for graphical storytelling, and immersed environments.
Technologies and algorithms for rendering realistic and creative environments. Including fundamental rendering algorithms and techniques for Computer Graphics, particularly z-buffer and ray tracing and how to make them efficient.
3D modelling and model creation by different systems, e.g., procedural grammar systems and fractal modelling, and from data such as surface rendering algorithms subdivision surfaces and implicit models and volume data techniques, such as direct volume rendering and surface rendering algorithms.
Future possibilities in graphics, rendering, Virtual Reality.
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
To be able to analyse problem domains and define appropriate computing solutions, to prepare, plan and design, and create a computer graphics system that uses graphics.
|Be able to demonstrate techniques to plan and design and basic implementation of a graphics system.||Demonstrate a good level of design knowledge, able to consider alternatives, and categorise different ideas.||Excellent knowledge of design processes, able to differentiate different ideas and discuss their respective advantages and disadvantages.|
Create, develop and deploy a software solution that uses computer graphics, and apply knowledge and skills to develop effective computer graphics systems. To demonstrate in-depth understanding of how to create real applications that need computer graphics.
|Very good knowledge and ability to create and deploy an effective computing system.||A comprehensive understanding of how to analyse and build computer graphics applications. Able to discuss and use a wide range of graphics techniques appropriate for the application.||Good understanding of the issues involved in creating a computer graphics application.|
To be able to critically reflect and evaluate to decide if a solution meets the criteria. To assess alternative solutions and defend the chosen solution.
|Demonstrate good reflective design and implementation skills; able to argue on the most suitable solution.||Demonstration of excellent critical analysis and reflective skills, able to assess alternative solutions and defend choices and alternatives.||To reflect on the ideas and work done, to assess whether a solution may be suitable.|
To perform research on an in-depth aspect of computer graphics. To summarise important information of the system, and prepare technical reports and communicate effectively graphical concepts and ideas.
|Able to report in-depth explanation of examples, and summarise important information and detail ideas of future (potential) directions.||Clear explanation of current systems, highlighting the salient information, and excellent critical discussion of potential future technologies for graphics.||Able to present some examples of current graphics and explain ideas in the literature.|
Explain, present and demonstrate understanding of graphics algorithms, including rendering, volume and surface visualisation algorithms, and virtual reality techniques. To be able to illustrate and explain the concepts, discuss their advantages and disadvantages and able to judge the best algorithm for the role and hypothesise how the algorithms/techniques will develop in the future.
|Good understanding of the concepts of computer graphics. Able to describe the basic concepts of different graphics rendering algorithms||Very good knowledge of computer graphics algorithms (from z-buffer to Ray tracing) and how they are applied. Able to comprehensively illustrate the algorithms and discuss how the future may unfold in graphics and VR.||A demonstrable comprehensive understanding of computer graphics algorithms and in-depth knowledge of current algorithms and a sound ability make decisions of suitability and discussion over current and future algorithms and techniques in computer graphics rendering.|
|GWAITH CWRS||Topic Background Study||
Background research and study of scenario.
|GWAITH CWRS||Design study||
Deliver a design study report, with Five Design-Sheet and storyboard components, that presents your design ideas to explain the scenario through animation.
|GWAITH CWRS||Explanatory animation||
Implement your explanatory animation that explains your scenario.
A balanced critical reflection of your work.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study and skill development.
Lectures covering the core material and presentation of the information.
|Supervised time in studio/workshop||
Ongoing regular workshops, allowing students to develop their skills, work through exercises and demonstrate their progress.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Use of such knowledge in modelling and design
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Specify, design or construct computer-based systems
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Development of general transferable skills
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
- System Design
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Specify, deploy, verify and maintain computer-based systems
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- G400: BSC Computer Science year 3 (BSC/CS)
- G40B: BSc Computer Science (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/CS1)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 3 (BSC/CSF)
- I102: BSc Computer Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/CSIE)
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 3 (BSC/CT)