Mentoring and Befriending
Mentoring and Befriending 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 2
This module will focus on developing an understanding of mentoring, including mentor training, that will allow students to engage in a series of peer-mentoring sessions with an allocated year 1 student or group member under supervision by the module leader. It will discuss the following topics:
• History of mentoring and befriending; • Key skills for mentoring and befriending children and young people; • Understanding the Self; • Motivation; • Goal identification; • Ending the mentoring relationship; • Ethical considerations of the mentoring process; • Practical experience of mentoring a peer; • Reflective practice
- Demonstrate an understanding of current theories and models of mentoring and befriending with a specific focus on working with children and young people.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop an appropriate, focussed, mentoring relationship with a peer giving thorough consideration to ethical factors.
- Identify the children and young people most likely to benefit from mentoring and design appropriate, evidence-based programmes for them.
- Reflect on their own learning experiences and their relationship with their mentee in order to improve their practice.
- Understand the impact of effective mentoring on the aspirations and achievements of children and young people in a variety of contexts.