Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Xianfeng Chen
This module aims to provide an introduction to the rapidly expanding subject of microengineering. Starting with a discussion of the benefits and market demand for microengineered systems, the module investigates clean room-based lithographic and other methods of microfabrication. Micro manufacturing issues for a range of materials such as silicon, polymers and metals will be discussed along with routes to larger scale manufacture. A range of example devices and applications will be used to illustrate manufacturing parameters.
Indicative content includes:
- Overview and history of microengineering. Example application areas. Advantages and disadvantages of microengineered systems. Current and future markets
- Basic photolithography. Masks, Resist technology, Etching, Exposure sources, resolutions. Emerging technologies, Applications and examples
- Silicon crystallography, mechanical properties of silicon, Etch methods, Etch stops, Examples and applications
- Mechanical properties of thin films. Surface machining processes. Poly-silicon processes, Silicon-on-insulator (SOI) processes. Examples and applications
- Resists and lithography. Electrodeposition processes. Injection moulding. Material properties of polymers, Hot embossing.
- Laser principles. Laser wavelengths and pulse regimes. Beam propagation. Machining techniques. Excimer lasers, Femtosecond laser micromachining.
Equivalent to 50%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Recognise key aspects and processes within the photolithography process.
Apply principles of Laser Micromachining to common industrial problems, detailing technologies and principles involved.
Recognise principles and techniques of bulk and surface micromachining.
Illustrate benefits gained by users of microengineered components over more traditional methods.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1x2 hour per week over 12 weeks.
1x2 hour per week over 12 weeks.
152 hours over 12 weeks.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Identify emerging technologies and technology trends;
- Apply an understanding and appreciation of continuous improvement techniques
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Plan, budget, organise and manage people and resources;
- Communicate proposals persuasively and respond positively to feedback;
- Analyse and display data using appropriate methods and mathematical techniques;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the need to work safely and comply within relevant legislative and regulatory frameworks;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Knowledge of management techniques to achieve objectives
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Methods, techniques and tools for information modelling, management and security
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Rhestr ddarllen Talishttp://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ice-4323.html
Fundamentals of Microfabrication and Nanotechnology, 3rd Edition, Marc J. Madou, :Publisher: CRC Press, 2011
The MEMS Handbook, 2nd Edition, Mohamed Gad-el-Hak, Publisher: CRC Press (2006), ISBN 9780429103872
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H6AJ: MSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (MSC/ELENG)
- H6AF: MSc Nanotechnology and Microfabrication year 1 (MSC/NANOTECH)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- H6AX: MRes Electronic Engineering year 1 (MRES/EE)