Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Do you want to achieve the highest grades possible throughout your University career? Do you want to develop key transferable skills that will help you to secure your dream job, and allow you to thrive in the workplace? If the answer to these questions is yes then this module is for you. Designed to provide a key platform for your University studies, this module will equip you with the fundamental skills, tips, tricks and time-savers to maximise your chances of producing first-class assignments in all of your modules. For example, you will be coached in how to write-assignments to University standard (which can be quite different from the writing you may have experienced before). Through fun informal exercises in class, you will gain experience and confidence in delivering engaging pitches and verbal presentations. You will also learn how to navigate the University’s online systems to search for and access a wealth of cutting-edge scientific articles at the forefront of the discipline.
The course will equip you with a range of skills that will help you to successfully navigate your studies and “be the best that you be” at Bangor University and in your future career. For example, the course covers topics such as; a) “How to write scientific essays and reports at University-level”; b) “How to identify optimal scientific sources”; c) “How to present and reference your essays”; d) "How to develop and apply critical thinking skills in science; e) “How to think on your feet and deliver professional “impromptu” speeches”; f) “How to confidently deliver formal scientific talks and presentations”. Everything you do in this module is designed to help you achieve the best possible experience and grades in all the other modules you will study.
D- to D+. • A basic knowledge and understanding of topic areas presented. • A description of research presented, with some sections covered clearly • Some structural issues and only some of the relevant information within the field covered. • Little demonstration of some independent research from academic sources outside of lectures and recommended readings • Few logically presented and factually correct arguments, mostly undefended by sound scientific evidence • Little original interpretation applied to problems, with few synthesis and critical thinking skills shown • Weak presentation of material, with little adherence to APA standards and lack of clear communication of scientific content. • Adequate oral presentation skills shown
C- to B+. • A good knowledge and understanding of topic areas presented. • A scientific description of research presented, with most sections covered clearly and succinctly • Well-structured and mostly relevant coverage of the current field. • A demonstration of some independent research from academic sources outside of lectures and recommended readings • Mostly logically presented and factually correct arguments, often defended by sound scientific evidence • Some original interpretation applied to problems, with good synthesis and critical thinking skills shown • Good presentation of material, mostly adhering to APA standards and communicating scientific content well • Good oral presentation skills shown (answers in C range will meet these criteria to a good level, answers in B range will meet some-to-all of these criteria to a very good level).
A- to A** • A comprehensive knowledge and detailed understanding of topic areas presented. • A highly scientific description of research presented, with all sections covered clearly and succinctly. • Well-structured and highly relevant coverage of the current field. • A clear demonstration of independent research from academic sources outside of lectures and recommended readings. • Logically presented and factually correct arguments, defended by sound scientific evidence • Original interpretation applied to problems, with excellent synthesis and critical thinking skills shown. • Excellent written presentation of material, adhering to APA standards and clearly communicating scientific content. • Excellent oral presentations skills shown.
Demonstrate the ability to communicate scientific research in both written and oral formats.
Demonstrate a clear understanding and/or application of the APA formatting rules and scientific writing style and conventions.
Discuss and evaluate some of the critical issues currently being debated in the field of sport science.
Demonstrate competent science writing, using format, language, and style appropriate for scientific discourse
Present information about one or more areas of sport science in a logical, informative, and scientifically appropriate manner.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Dissemination of information lectures plus research talks (likely 3 x 2 hour and 4 x 1 hour)
Small group workshops - SHEOPS and Writing for Science (likely 30 x 1 hour)
Searching and reading scientific literature and preparing assignments.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- critically assess and evaluate data and evidence in the context of research methodologies and data sources
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-1051.html
American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (7th Edition). Washington, DC: APA.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 1 (BSC/ASS)
- C61P: BSc Adventure Sport Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/ASSP)
- C616: BSc Sport and Exercise Science year 1 (BSC/SES)
- C61F: BSc Sport & Exercise Science with Foundation Year year 1 (BSC/SESF)
- C63P: BSc Sport and Exercise Science with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SESP)
- C617: BSc Sport Science, PE & Coaching year 1 (BSC/SSCPE)
- C64P: BSc Sport Science, PE and Coaching with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/SSCPEP)
- C618: BSc Sport Sci: Strength & Conditioning year 1 (BSC/SSSC)
- C65P: BSc Sport Science: Strength & Conditioning with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/SSSCP)
- C621: MSci Sport & Exercise Science year 1 (MSCI/SES)