Year Abroad Re-sit Portfolio German
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Sarah Pogoda
This module relates to modules for which students need to pass credits at a host university during their Year Abroad. Students who do not pass the minimum amount of 15 credits per semester during their Year Abroad are required to submit a ‘Re-sit Portfolio’ comprising (1) a two-part translation exercise and (2) an essay.
If a student fails more than one semester, he/she would have to submit up to three different versions of the aforementioned exercises, depending on their degree combination: Single Honours, Joint Honours and 3 Languages (e.g. if a Joint Honours French + German student fails both semesters, in France and Germany, he/she would have to submit one Re-sit Portfolio in German and another one in French).
The re-sit portfolio is not part of the standard module curriculum. It links in with assignments students are expected to pass as part of their Year Abroad. The portfolio exercises aim to further develop and consolidate general academic, cultural, and linguistic skills which students will have acquired in their modules taken abroad. The portfolio will provide students with the opportunity to further hone their translation skills both into their mother tongue and into their respective second or third language, as well as essay writing and analytical skills. For the two translation assignments, students will be provided with source texts by a tutor from the respective language group. For the essay assignment, students need to choose an essay topic that covers one of the topics they studied abroad. Students will receive guidance from a respective language tutor as to an appropriate essay topic.
50-69%: Solid comprehension of the chosen topic; adequate display of independent research skills; good knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; good ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
40-49%: Satisfactory comprehension of the chosen topic; limited display of independent research skills; limited knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; limited ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
70+%: Detailed comprehension of the chosen topic; extensive display of independent research skills; excellent knowledge of vocabulary and grammar; excellent ability to translate the prescribed range of texts.
Offer accurate translations into their native language and the target language which render the meaning and the tone of the text. (assessment task 1)
Demonstrate their understanding of the society and / or culture of the country in which they spent their time abroad. (assessment task 2)
Display familiarity with citation and referencing techniques (including compiling a bibliography). (assessment task 2)
Demonstrate the ability to gather information and condense it effectively in a clear and coherent argument in the target language, while drawing on target language sources. (assessment task 2)
Demonstrate an appropriate and correct command of the target language in an advanced register and lexis. (assessment tasks 1 and 2)
|Translation of 1000 words||50.00|
|Essay of 2500 words||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The re-sit portfolio is not part of the standard module curriculum. Students will however receive guidance from their respective language tutors regarding any learning resources that might be necessary to pass the assessment requirements (see point 14 below).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- The ability to organise and present ideas within the framework of a structured and reasoned argument in written and/or oral assignments and class discussions. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- Critical skills in the close reading, description, reasoning and analysis of primary and secondary sources in the target language and/or English or Welsh (incl. filmic, literary and other sources). (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.14, 5.15)
- Competence in the planning and execution of essays, presentations and other written and project work; bibliographic skills, including the accurate citation of sources and consistent use of conventions and appropriate style in the presentation of scholarly work. (Benchmark statement 5.10, 5.14, 5.15)
- The ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints and to place these in a wider socio-cultural and/or geo-historical and political and/or socio-linguistic context and to revise and re-evaluate judgements in light of those of the course leader, certain individuals or groups studied and/or fellow students. (Benchmark statement 5.13, 5.15 and 5.16)
- The ability to work creatively and flexibly both independently and/or as part of a team. (Benchmark statement 5.15).
- The ability to comprehend, critically engage with and apply relevant theoretical concepts to materials being studied. (Benchmark statement 5.10)
- The ability to engage in analytical, evaluative and original thinking. (Benchmark statement 5.14)
- The ability to analyse German-language texts (incl. films, visual materials and ideas) and place them in a wider historical-political and socio-cultural context. (Benchmark statement 5.4, 5.7, and 5.11)
- The ability to function in another culture. (Benchmark statement 5.7)
- The ability to develop intercultural awareness and understanding (Benchmark statement 5.7, 6.10)
- The ability to reflect on and develop language learning skills. (Benchmark statement 6.10)
- The ability to engage in independent study. (Benchmark statement 5.16)