Research Methods in ABA
Research Methods in Applied Behaviour Analysis 2023-24
School Of Educational Sciences
Module - Semester 1 & 2
The module will cover content from the BCBA Task list (5th edition). The content is from Section 1: Foundations, Content Areas C and D.
1 Establish operational definitions of behavior. 2 Distinguish among direct, indirect, and product measures of behavior. 3. Measure occurrence (e.g., frequency, rate, percentage). 4. Measure temporal dimensions of behavior (e.g., duration, latency, interresponse time). 5 Measure form and strength of behavior (e.g., topography, magnitude). 6 Measure trials to criterion. 7 Design and implement sampling procedures (i.e., interval recording, time sampling). 8 Evaluate the validity and reliability of measurement procedures. 9 Select a measurement system to obtain representative data given the dimensions of behavior and the logistics of observing and recording. 10 Graph data to communicate relevant quantitative relations (e.g., equal-interval graphs, bar graphs, cumulative records). 11 Interpret graphed data. 12 Distinguish between dependent and independent variables. 13 Distinguish between internal and external validity. 14 Identify the defining features of single-subject experimental designs (e.g., individuals serve as their own controls, repeated measures, prediction, verification, replication). 15 Describe the advantages of single-subject experimental designs compared to group designs. 16 Use single-subject experimental designs (e.g., reversal, multiple baseline, multielement, changing criterion). 17 Describe rationales for conducting comparative, component, and parametric analyses.
- Apply and critically discuss the features of various single-case experimental designs
- Critique research using the principles of empirically supported treatments
- Display and analyse behavioural data
- Evaluate experimental validity and threats to validity
- Identify the ethical issues involved in designing a research project
- Identify the features of various single-case and group experimental designs
- Select appropriate experimental designs for different research questions
Study design and critique
Research Methods in ABA final exam