Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Dyfrig Jones
This module will give students an overview contemporary documentary film. Developments in documentary film history will be explored within a theoretical context, which will enable the students to understand the ways in which documentaries have evolved over time. This module will also look at the work of a number of key documentary film-makers examining their films within the context of documentary theory.
This course will look at the development of documentary film, attempting to place important developments within a theoretical context. The course will begin by looking at the way in which the early pioneers of documentary film emerged in the 1920s, and seek to understand the contributions of John Grierson, Robert Flaherty and Dziga Vertov, and the relationship between their work.
This will be followed by an examination of the emergence of Direct Cinema and Cinema Verité during the 1960s, and the challenges faced by those attempting to work within observational documentary. The rejection of the purely observational mode of documentary, and the rise of the participatory film-maker will follow, leading on to an examination of reflexive documentaries, the role of dramatisation within documentary film, drama-documentary and docudrama.
The final part of the course will look at the influence of new technology upon documentary film, analysing the influence of both computer generated imagery and animation upon documentary film. Specific attention will be paid to the work of film-makers such as Albert and David Maysles, DA Pennebaker, Nick Broomfield, Molly Dineen, Errol Morris, and Kevin MacDonald among others.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student's own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Submitted work is competent throughout and occasionally distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Good structure and logically developed arguments.
- At least in parts draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are, in the main, backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Very Good (60%+)
Submitted work is competent throughout and distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It demonstrates:
- Very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Identify milestones in the recent development of film and television documentary
Critically evaluate both form and content in documentary
Apply film and television theory to the critical evaluation of film and television texts
Identify and describe major documentary film theories
Identify and critically analyse the work of a number of specific documentary film makers
|Essay or Video Essay||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Seminar, 1 hour per week
Film screening, 2 hours per week
Lecture, 1 hour per week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-2059.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Rhagofynnol ar gyfer:
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q3WP: BA Eng Lang with Film Studs year 2 (BA/ELFS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 2 (BA/FSGD)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- R2P4: BA German with Media Studies year 2 (BA/GMST)
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 2 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/HFSIE)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 2 (BA/MSGD)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 2 (MARTS/CP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- QWM5: BA Cymraeg, Theatr a'r Cyfryngau year 2 (BA/CTC)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- T125: BA Film Studies and Chinese year 2 (BA/FSCH)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- 3P3Q: BA Film Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/FSEL)
- PQ3J: BA Film Studies and English Language year 2 (BA/FSELAN)
- PR31: BA Film Studies and French year 2 (BA/FSFR4)
- PR32: BA Film Studies and German year 2 (BA/FSGER)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 2 (BA/FSH)
- P0R3: BA Film Studies and Italian year 2 (BA/FSI)
- PR34: BA Film Studies and Spanish year 2 (BA/FSSPAN4)
- P3W5: BA Film Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/FSTP)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/MEN)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 2 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 2 (BA/MSG)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/MSIT)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BA/MSTP1)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 2 (BA/MUSFS)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 2 (BA/PWGD)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)
- VP23: BA Welsh History and Film Studies year 2 (BA/WHFS)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 2 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LMSI)
- P308: MArts Media year 2 (MARTS/MED)
- W891: MArts Professional Writing year 2 (MARTS/PW)