Mentoring and Befriending
Rhedir gan School of Educational Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nia Young
This module provides a grounding in theories of effective mentoring and befriending of children and young people. It critically discusses the history of mentoring and befriending, drawing on contemporary research evidence to describe current best practice. It explores the significance of motivation, goal-setting and understanding of the self together with listening skills and body language in developing the mentor’s self-awareness, understanding and skills to assist the child or young person in achieving his or her goals. After undertaking mentor training students will be allocated as a peer-mentor for a fellow student in order to develop their individual mentoring skills and to demonstrate an understanding of theoretical and interpersonal considerations within an ethical context. Students will work with their mentee to design six appropriate support sessions aimed at developing the mentees confidence in academic areas.
This module will focus on developing an understanding of mentoring, including mentor training, that will allow students to engage in a series of peer-mentoring sessions with an allocated year 1 student or group member under supervision by the module leader. It will discuss the following topics:
• History of mentoring and befriending; • Key skills for mentoring and befriending children and young people; • Understanding the Self; • Motivation; • Goal identification; • Ending the mentoring relationship; • Ethical considerations of the mentoring process; • Practical experience of mentoring a peer; • Reflective practice
D- to D+:- A satisfactory, critical understanding of current theories of mentoring and befriending, including an ability to make sound, evidence-based decisions on mentoring strategies to help a peer achieve the agreed goals; a basic awareness of the ethical and interpersonal aspects of effective mentoring, including motivation and ending the mentoring intervention.
C- to C+:- A good, critical understanding of current theories of mentoring and befriending, including an ability to make sound, evidence-based decisions on mentoring strategies to help a peer achieve the agreed goals; a sound awareness of the ethical and interpersonal aspects of effective mentoring, including motivation and ending the mentoring intervention.
A- to A*:- A comprehensive, critical understanding of current theories of mentoring and befriending, including an ability to make sound, evidence-based decisions on mentoring strategies to help a peer achieve the agreed goals; a thorough awareness of the ethical and interpersonal aspects of effective mentoring, including motivation and ending the mentoring intervention.
Demonstrate an understanding of current theories and models of mentoring and befriending with a specific focus on working with children and young people.
Understand the impact of effective mentoring on the aspirations and achievements of children and young people in a variety of contexts.
Identify the children and young people most likely to benefit from mentoring and design appropriate, evidence-based programmes for them.
Demonstrate the ability to develop an appropriate, focussed, mentoring relationship with a peer giving thorough consideration to ethical factors.
Reflect on their own learning experiences and their relationship with their mentee in order to improve their practice.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Tutorial: 4 hours @ 1 hour a week
strong textPrivate Study (62 hours)
Lectures and interactive seminars: 22 hours (11 @ 2hours/week).
Peer-mentoring: 12 hours (12 @ 1 hours/week).
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches including: - the necessary depth and strength of relationships with individual children and children in groups and the facilitation of the building of relationships with and between children - the formation and promotion of mutually respectful relationships with families colleagues other professionals and communities
- plan for and where appropriate implement play and the curriculum assessment evaluation and improvement of creative learning opportunities taking account of young children's health and emotional well-being
- lead support and work collaboratively with others and demonstrate an understanding of working effectively in teams with parents carers and other professionals 11
- demonstrate an understanding of how to plan for and where appropriate implement meeting and promoting children's health well-being protection and safety and the conditions that enable them to flourish
- produce critical arguments for improvements to multi-agency and multiprofessional practices for babies and young children
- reflect upon the ethics of studying babies and young children and their families and communities
- analyse educational concepts, theories and issues of policy in a systematic way
- the ability to reflect on their own and others' value systems
- the ability to use their knowledge and understanding critically to locate and justify a personal position in relation to the subject
- an understanding of the significance and limitations of theory and research
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-2039.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 2 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 2 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 2 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 2 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 2 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/PIC)