Law for Business
Rhedir gan Bangor Business School
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Ms Omotolani Somoye
To provide students with an overview of the key aspects of the legal system of England and Wales and an Introduction to Business Law.
To enable students to study key areas of substantive law and their importance associated with the legal system of England and Wales
To provide students with an overview of the law relating to business organisations, in particular the law relating to partnerships and limited companies, legal personality, the capital and financing and the management, administration and regulation of companies.
To enable students to briefly look at Insolvency Law and Fraudulent and criminal behaviour
The module introduces the student to the legal system of England and Wales, providing a framework to study ‘What is Law’. It will provide an outline of the essential differences between common law and civil law systems. It will also provide students with a brief introduction to areas of substantive law such as the essentials of contract; the tort or negligence and business formation. It will also introduce students to Employment Law, so that they understand Contracts of Employment and elements of dismissal and Redundancy. The module will also outline the law relating to business organisations, in particular the law relating to partnerships and limited companies. It will consider legal personality, the capital and financing and the management, administration and regulation of companies. It elucidates on the guiding rules on shareholder's rights. It will also briefly look at Insolvency Law and Fraudulent and criminal behaviour
A- to A+ (70%+): Outstanding Performance. The relevant information accurately deployed. Excellent grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practice elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Strong evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
B- to B+ (60-69%): Very good performance Most of the relevant information accurately deployed. Good grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Good integration of theory/practice/information in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%): Much of the relevant information and skills mostly accurately deployed. Adequate grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Fair integration of theory/practice/information in the pursuit of the assessed work's objectives. Some evidence of the use of creative and reflective skills.
D- to D+ (40-49%): No major omissions or inaccuracies in the deployment of information/skills. Some grasp of theoretical/conceptual/practical elements. Integration of theory/practice/information present intermittently in pursuit of the assessed work's objectives.
Identify and critically discuss the internal structure of a company, its management and control, and the legal restrictions and requirements placed on a company’s board of directors.
Demonstrate a thorough ability to undertake independent legal research including the use of appropriate academic data bases.
Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the basic principles of how law applies to business, including the formation of contracts, the tort of negligence and the alternative forms of business available, including the advantages and disadvantages of incorporation
Critically evaluate the different procedures by which a company may be wound up and explain the role and function of a liquidator
Critically evaluate the key components of corporate personality including the potential of criminal liability
Show a thorough critical understanding of the essentials of a contract and the key elements in establishing the tort of negligence
Critically analyse the statutory rules regulating the raising and maintenance of a company’s share capital
|Semester 1 Examination||50.00|
|Semester 2 Examination||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Review lecture notes. Further study using textbooks and internet
The module will be delivered by a 2 hour lecture each week over 2 semesters
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- knowledge of some of the contexts in which accounting can be seen as operating (examples of contexts include the legal, ethical, social and natural environment; the accountancy profession; the business entity; the capital markets; the public sector)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Introduction to Business Law, Lucy Jones, 2017, Oxford University Press, Fourth Edition ISBN-10 019872733X ISBN-13 9780198727330
Blackstone's Statute Company Law (2018/2019)
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- NN4H: BSc Accounting and Finance year 3 (BSC/ACCFIN)
- NN4F: BSc Accounting and Finance year 3 (BSC/ACCFINF)
- N402: BSc Accounting & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ACCFINIE)
- NN4P: BSc Accounting and Finance with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/ACCFINP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- NN45: BA Accounting and Banking year 3 (BA/AB)
- NN36: BA Accounting and Banking with International Experience year 4 (BA/ABIE)
- NN14: BA Business Stud & Finance (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/BSFIE)
- 8N60: BA Business Studies and Marketing (with International Exp) year 4 (BA/BSMIE)
- N107: BA Business year 3 (BA/BUS)
- LN15: BA Accounting & Economics (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/ECAIE)
- N500: BA Marketing year 3 (BA/MK)
- N5R3: BA Marketing with Italian year 4 (BA/MKITAL)
- N5R1: BA Marketing with French year 4 (BA/MKTFR)
- N5R2: BA Marketing with German year 4 (BA/MKTGER)
- N5R4: BA Marketing with Spanish year 4 (BA/MKTSP#)
- NL41: BSc Accounting and Economics year 3 (BSC/ACCEC)
- NL4B: BSc Accounting and Economics (4 year with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/ACCEC1)
- NL4F: BSc Accounting and Economics year 3 (BSC/ACCECF)
- NL42: BSc Accounting and Economics with International Experience year 4 (BSC/AEIE)
- L190: BSc Business Economics year 3 (BSC/BEC)
- L19B: BSc Business Economics (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BEC1)
- L19F: BSc Business and Economics year 3 (BSC/BECF)
- L191: BSc Business Economics with International Experience year 3 (BSC/BECIE)
- L19P: BSc Business Economics with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/BECP)
- L192: BSc Business Economics (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICBE)
- N503: BSc Marketing (Bangor International College) year 3 (BSC/BICMRK)
- N2N5: BSc Business Management and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BMM)
- N2NC: BSc Business Man & Marketing (4 yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BSC/BMM1)
- NNM1: BSc Business Studies & Marketing with Intl Experience year 4 (BSC/BSMIE)
- NN1M: BSc Business Studies and Marketing year 3 (BSC/BSMKT)
- NN1K: BSc Business Studies & Marketing (4 year with Incorp Found) year 3 (BSC/BSMKT1)
- N501: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKT)
- N50B: BSc Marketing (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BSC/MKT1)
- N50F: BSc Marketing year 3 (BSC/MKTF)