One Year International Experience (Chemistry) - Post-Level 6 option
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Lorrie Murphy
The International Experience Placement modules provide an opportunity for students to extend their understanding of Chemistry by a period of study abroad. The module will also raise students' awareness of cross-cultural and transnational issues as they apply both within and outside Chemistry. It is expected that the modules, as part of their degree course, will enhance students’ experience and employment opportunities.
Each student will spend an extended period studying at a Host Institution overseas. During the module students will pursue studies relevant to Chemistry. They will also learn about the country in which they are based, with particular emphasis on understanding and applying subject-specific knowledge in a different cultural setting. The content of the modules will be designed for each student in discussion with the Host Institution and will include elements of directed learning and/or supervision.
Threshold (Grade D or C; mark range 40-59%) There are weaknesses in the way that the report is structured, resulting in repetition and/or lack of clarity. It contains descriptive text relating to the knowledge acquired by the student but with evidence that the descriptions have not been fully developed. Knowledge directly related to the student’s degree subject is described but with little emphasis on any other knowledge acquired. There is only limited analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge and there is little evidence of critical evaluation. The report includes content in which the student evaluates the learning experience, mainly as a retrospective description of the placement experience with little emphasis on how the experiences have enhanced understanding of the degree subject area.
Good (Grade B; mark range 60-69%)
The report is logically structured. It contains detailed text, with some critical elements, relating to the knowledge acquired by the student. Knowledge directly and indirectly related to the student’s degree subject is described. There is analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge but critical evaluation is limited. The report includes substantial content in which the student evaluates the learning experience, mainly as a retrospective description of the placement experience with only some emphasis on how the experiences have enhanced understanding of the degree subject area.
Excellent (Grade A; mark range 70-100%)
The report is logically structured and with threads that create a holistic, coherent whole. It contains detailed and insightful descriptive and critical elements relating to the knowledge acquired by the student. Knowledge directly and indirectly related to the student’s degree subject is described with detailed exploration of the synergies between the various sources of knowledge. There is a well argued, critical analysis of the cultural influences on the interpretation and application of subject-specific knowledge. The report includes substantial content in which the student evaluates the learning experience, both as a retrospective description of the placement experience and as a critical reflection on how the experiences have enhanced understanding of the degree subject area
Upon completion of the module it is expected that students will have acquired knowledge that will enhance their detailed understanding of Chemistry.
Upon completion of the module it is expected that students will be able to critically evaluate how understanding and application of subject-specific knowledge is influenced by multi-cultural and transnational issues.
Upon completion of the module it is expected that students will be able to evaluate their learning experience in a general and subject-specific context.
|Report or publication style manuscript||100.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
OVERALL: 1,200 hours. This equates to a minimum placement of 30 weeks (at 40 hrs/week). Shorter ‘intensive’ placements may also be permitted provided that students can achieve the module learning outcomes. The time allocated to the taught elements and private study will vary depending on the arrangements for each placement, as will the format of the taught elements. The experience of students will be consistent with the following:
Format of Teaching: Tutorials (Introduction to module) 10 Hours Tutorials (in-module) 250 Hours (~20% of notional learning hours) plus Private Study 940 Hours.
Teaching Strategy: The Tutorials (in-module) may comprise timetabled training sessions at the Host Institution and/or less formal, but regular, work-placement training. The Tutorials (in-module) will be delivered at the equivalent of 10 hrs per week. The actual times will vary depending on the nature of the placement and specific details will be included in the agreement with the Host Institution.
see teaching method 1
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- PS7 Basic interpersonal skills, relating to the ability to interact with other people and to engage in teamworking
- PS8 Time management and organisational skills, as evidenced by the ability to plan and implement efficient and effective ways of working
- PS11 Problem-solving skills including the demonstration of self-direction, initiative and originality
- PS6 Information technology skills which support the location, management, processing, analysis and presentation of scientific information
- PS13 The ability to make decisions in complex and unpredictable situations
- PS14 Independent learning skills required for continuing professional development
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
**Placements will only be available at approved locations ‘Host Institutions’ under the terms of an agreement between the University and the Host Institution.** ---------- It is expected that costs directly associated with the placement will be covered by funding arranged through the University or as otherwise defined in the agreement between the University and the Host Institution. Students will be responsible for any additional costs, e.g. for activities that are not part of the agreement between the University and the Host Institutions, and for arranging insurance cover for these activities.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F105: BSc Chemistry with International Experience year 3 (BSC/CHIE)
- F106: MChem Chemistry with International Experience year 3 (MCHEM/CHIE)