Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
The past is complex and can be interpreted in different ways and different forms of historical evidence or understood differently which can lead to divergent interpretations. It is very easy to think of the past as something given, solid and fixed, which merely has to be researched to be understood. Disagreements between historians suggest, however, the past is open to debate, there are diverse views which give rise to controversies . There is even a sense in which people create different pasts as they describe and present history for different purposes.
This course has tow main objectives. First, it aims to acquaint students with some of the ways in which the past has been constructed by historians and others; and to stimulate thought about how such various understandings of history might affect the way they view the past. Students will be challenged to wonder whether there is an objective, true’ past that we can recover; and whether professional historians come closer to describing areal’ past than politicians or popularisers.
Second, students will be expected to apply this enhanced level of understanding to the student's own research interests. This will form part of the initial prepatory work for the dissertation. Students will choose the topic they intend to study. They will then conduct a literature search and a literature review, specific to this chosen area of research. This will lead them into the actual dissertation.
The first part of the course is concerned with the use of the past made by historians and commentators such as politicians, the way traditions are invented (and destroyed), and introduces the different historiographical schools. It will look at various ideas about the study and writing of history which have developed over the last two centuries and which students need to understand in order to engage confidently with the different approaches which professional historians take to their work.
The second part will focus entirely on preparing for the dissertation. Students will be told about the structure and process behind the dissertation. They will choose a topic and will then discuss their ideas with a supervisor. Students will then conduct a literature search and a literature review, specific to this chosen area of research. These will be discussed with the supervisor. 1. Hist 2. Hist 3. Hist 4. Hist 5. Hist 6. Broad introduction to the dissertation. 7. Subject specific introduction to the dissertation. 8. Discuss the topic with a supervisor. 9. Do a literature search/bibliography and report back to the supervisor. 10. Draft a literature review and discuss it with the supervisor. Agree on a timetable for the dissertation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/hch-2051.html
One has already been provided.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- V1W6: BA History with Film Studies year 2 (BA/HFS)
- V1W7: BA History with Film Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/HFSIE)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 2 (BA/HJ)
- 8S11: BA History with Journalism (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/HJIE)