Investment Management MSc
- Enw: Investment Management
- Cymhwyster: MSc
- Hyd: 12 months (September start date). A 10 month version also available (September start). Students on the 10 month course will study 5 modules in the Autumn and 5 in the Spring.
This degree programme provides the opportunity to follow the prestigious CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) specialist pathway and acquire the skills to complete the CFA Level 1 examination. Click here for more information.
The course offers students a sound knowledge of the theoretical foundations that underpin modern investment and risk management techniques, and prepares them for entry into the fast-growing investment management industry. The programme aims to cover the traditional syllabus of a Masters degree in finance whilst providing students with advanced level management and business training in specialised areas of investment, such as the management of equity and bond portfolios; trading techniques; risk management; management of foreign exchange and derivative securities and emerging markets investment. Students will benefit from a unique opportunity to use various online databases available in Bangor Business School, such as Bloomberg, DataStream and SNL.
Students will acquire advanced, specialised knowledge and skills across a range of investment applications at strategic and operational levels. They will develop intellectual skills and research expertise in the area of investment analysis and portfolio management; technical skills relevant to financial markets’ operation and management; critical skills in examining advanced level theories and empirical evidence; computational skills in financial service activity; and analytic skills in exploring the efficient markets hypothesis.
Rhoddir cynnwys y cwrs ar gyfer arweiniad yn unig a gall newid.
The course is a full-time programme lasting 12 months. It consists of two parts:
Is a wholly taught component, contributing 120 credits. All taught modules carry a credit weighting of 15 credits. Part 1 is taught during the two semesters which make up the academic year. Teaching during semester 1 normally runs from late-September to December, with examinations in January. Teaching during Semester 2 normally runs from late-January to early-May, with examinations in May and June.
This consists of either a supervised Dissertation of around 10,000 words, or a structured Advanced Taught Programme of Summer Study that is specific to your chosen degree. Part 2 is completed during the summer months, from late-May to September. If you undertake a supervised Dissertation, you are expected to submit your Dissertation by September in the calendar year following your initial registration for your postgraduate degree. The assessments for the Advanced Taught Programme of Summer Study are also completed during September in the calendar year following your initial registration.
- Current Issues in International Finance: This module deals with the important current issues in international finance, with focus being placed on current research findings and published papers from international journals.
- International Financial Markets: This module provides an introduction to finance theory, and its practical applications for investors, analysts and portfolio managers.
- Research Methods: This module provides the student with knowledge of intermediate and advanced qualitative and quantitative research methods, and provide a basis in research methodology.
- Credit Risk Analytics: This module examines the theory and practice of credit risk analytics and decision science in financial institutions. Particular emphasis will be placed on topical areas within quantitative methods and regulatory requirements.
- Investment Strategy & Portfolio Management: This module analyses portfolio strategies to effectively control risk and enhance returns; develops intellectual skills and research expertise in investment analysis and portfolio management; and demonstrates appropriate modelling techniques for investment decision-making and risk management.
- Financial Analysis: This module analyses the techniques that are used to evaluate a company’s financial position and performance, and develops a critical awareness of the uses of financial data by capital markets for valuation purposes.
Plus choose 1 of the following:
- MSc Dissertation
- Financial Seminar Series
- Applied Financial Projects (30 credits)*
- Financial Research & CFA Series (CFA pathway only)
*Students on the 10 month programme must take this option
Optional Modules – choose 2:
- International Financial Management*
- Financial Econometrics
- Corporate Risk Management*
- Merger and Acquisition
- Financial Ethics and Regulation
*Students on the 10 month programme
Modiwlau y flwyddyn yma
Rhoddir rhestr modiwlau ar gyfer arweiniad yn unig a gall newid. Gweld y modiwlau mae ein myfyrwyr yn astudio ar tudalen Modiwlau Investment Management .
Candidates should have a good first degree or 2(ii) or higher or equivalent from a university or another approved degree-awarding body. Non-graduate qualifications deemed to be of a satisfactory standard for the purpose of postgraduate admission may also be considered. Work experience is desirable.
If your native language is not English, you must provide satisfactory evidence that you have an adequate knowledge and understanding of written and spoken English:
- IELTS of 6.0 (with no element below 5.5)
- Pearson PTE: a score of 56 (with no element lower than 51)
- Cambridge English Test – Advanced: 169 (with no element lower than 162)
Sut i wneud Cais
Gallwch nawr wneud cais ar-lein ar gyfer holl raglenni ôl-raddedig trwy ddysgu a rhaglenni ymchwil ôl-raddedig y Brifysgol (gan eithrio TAR, Diploma mewn Therapi Galwedigaethol a DClinPsy).
Cam 1 – Paratoi i wneud cais
- Gallwch wneud cais eich hunain gyda cymorth ein Nodiadau Canllaw ar ymgeisio ar-lein. Rydym yn argymell yn gryf eich bod yn darllen rhain cyn i chi wneud cais ar-lein.
Cam 2 – Gwneud cais ar-lein
Ar ôl i chi ddarllen y Nodiadau Canllaw, dylech wneud cais gan ddefnyddio ein Gwasanaeth Derbyniadau Ar-lein.
Er mwyn ichi weld a chwblhau’r ffurflen gais yn Gymraeg bydd angen i chi sicrhau bod y gosodiad iaith ar eich porwr dewisol wedi ei osod ar Gymraeg. I gael canllawiau ynglŷn â sut i wneud hyn cliciwch yma (cyswllt â chwestiynau a ofynnir yn aml ynglŷn â sut i wneud hyn yn Firefox, IE a Google Chrome)
Wedi i chi gwblhau y ffurflen gais ar-lein bydd rhaid i chi ddarparu copiau o nifer o ddogfennau (wedi eu tystio os nad oes gennych y dogfennau gwreiddiol), megis trawsgrifiadau academaidd, tystysgrifon gradd, cadarnhad o gymorth ariannol.
Am wybodaeth bellach neu gyngor am wneud cais, cysylltwch â’r Swyddfa Derbyniadau Ôl-raddedig.
Ffôn: +44 (0)1248 383717
Pryd i wneud cais
Bydd y Brifysgol yn derbyn ceisiadau drwy gydol y flwyddyn ond byddwn yn gyffredinol yn eich annog i anfon eich cais cyn diwedd mis Mehefin. Mae hyn yn rhoi cyfle i chi wneud trefniadau ariannol a/neu lety ac i chi fedru cael gafael ar drawsgrifiadau a geirda os nad ydych wedi eu hanfon gyda’r cais gwreiddiol.
Graduates of the MSc in Investment Management are expected to obtain employment in a variety of careers in investment institutions, and will be ideally positioned to become investment specialists or managers and consultants in other corporate bodies. Some students would progress into further postgraduate research study.