The Global Child
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Clive Underwood
The module aims to explore issues regarding equality of access to education in an international context. It challenges some of the assumptions about education, looking in particular at inequality from an educational, social and welfare perspective in developed and developing countries. It focuses on themes of diversity, integration, equality and justice for children and young people. It investigates how economic and political practices impact on educational opportunities, and social outcomes and life choices. It examines the role of international organizations, governments, NGOs etc in promoting children and young people’s rights and entitlement
The background to the module is found with the Convention of the Rights of the Child (1989) (UNCRC) and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs):
The module focuses on comparing and contrasting educational provision for children
and young people in a range of developed and developing countries.
Emphasis is placed on:
• the way that educational policies acknowledge or ignore the needs of children
and the promotion of social inclusion or exclusion.
• differences in equality of opportunity and the educational injustices in developed and
• the moral, ethical, economic, and political challenges of the twenty-first century regarding the abuse of children's rights and needs within different contexts, examining case studies including: children as asylum seekers, economic migrants, and refugees; children as slaves and child labour; children as soldiers and orphans of war; sexually exploited children; children within cultural and religious conflicts and acts of terrorism; children with Aids and children living in poverty.
•the advocacy and intervention role of international organizations, such as the
United Nations, ILO, national governments and NGOs in bringing about social
change and justice and equity for children and young people
A satisfactory knowledge and understanding of the reasons for educational inequality in a global context and the ability to adequately evaluate the impact of intervention and advocacy strategies on social and educational change
A good knowledge and understanding of the reasons for educational inequality in a global context and the ability to effectively evaluate the impact of intervention and advocacy strategies on social and educational change
A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the reasons for educational inequality in a global context and the ability to effectively evaluate in depth the impact of intervention and advocacy strategies on social and educational change.
- discuss critically the underlying values of educational policies of developed and developing countries, and appraise the strengths and weaknesses of such policies and practices in their social, political, religious and cultural contexts;
- identify and discuss critically injustice and lack of equality and educational opportunity world-wide;
- demonstrate critical understanding of the impact of current global issues, in various countries, across the developed and developing world on children's social, environmental, and educational needs and development;
- identify and appreciate the key economic and political factors that interplay in countries that abuse children's rights;
- critically evaluate the work of various international organizations, national governments and NGOs in intervention and advocacy for change in context of children's rights and education.
|Written assignment, including essay||Critical Essay||50|
|Written assignment, including essay||Patchwork||50|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
33 hours of contact time delivered in a blended learning approach, involving online provision in the form of structured tasks, readings, recorded presentations and some face to face support seminars.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/xae-2032.html
Check Bb for additional weekly reading sources for sessions and assignments
Cox C. & Marks J, (2006) This Immoral Trade: Slavery in the 21st Century, Monarch
Penn, H (2005) Unequal Childhood: Young children’s lives in poor countries, Routledge
Other recommended texts:
Ahier, J., et al., (2000) Diversity and Change: Education, Policy and Selection, Routledge
Alexander, R., (2001) Culture and Pedagogy, Blackwell, 2000.
Bales, K (2009) Disposable People, California
Beah, I. (2007) A long way gone: Memoirs of a boy soldier, London: Fourth Estate
Brown, M., and Harrison, D. (1996) Changing Childhood Oxford UP.
Children & Society, (2008) Special Issue: Child Slavery Worldwide, Vol. 22, Issue 3
**Craig, G. (ed) (2010) Child Slavery Now – A Contemporary Reader, Bristol:
The Policy Press General Assembly of the United Nations (1989),
The Conventions of the Rights of the Child http://www.unicef/org/CVC. Mann, S, (2007),
Human Rights and Social Justice in a Global Perspective: An Introduction to International Social Work , OUP
Martaine E et al (2006) Improving Primary Education in Developing Countries, World Bank
**Montgomery, H. (ed) (2013) Local Childhoods, Global Issues, 2nd edition, Bristol:
The Policy Press Rosen, D. M. (2005) Armies of the Young: child soldiers in war and terrorism, Rutgers University Press UNICEF. (various)
State of the World's Children. Oxford UP. UN. (2000) Millennium Development Goals.
**Wells, K. (2009) Childhood in a Global Perspective, Cambridge: Polity Press Wessells, M. G. (2006) Child Soldiers: from violence to protection, Harvard University Press
Williams J H & Cummings, W K, (2005) Policy-making for Education Reform in Developing Countries: Contexts and Processes, Oxford
Journals (all accessible via the Library catalogue)
*Journal of International Development International Journal of Educational Development Childhood – A Journal of Global Child Research Children’s Geographies Children and Society Gender and Education Gender and Society
*New Internationalist: a magazine that you can subscribe to, but you can go online and follow their blogs and international reports & stories. An excellent resource for global issues from a non-Western perspective. www.newint.org
Key Organisations/Websites Human Rights Watch: www.hrw.org
International Labour Organisation (ILO): www.ilo.org
ECPAT (Campaigning against child trafficking and transnational child exploitation): www.ecpat.org.uk
UN Women (UN entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women): www.unwomen.org
Unicef Office of Research (‘Innocenti Centre’): www.unicef-irc.org
Save the Children International: www.savethechildren.net Minority Rights Group International: www.minorityrights.org
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- X314: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid year 2 (BA/API)
- X316: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymdeithaseg year 2 (BA/APIC)
- X318: BA Astudiaeth Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Pholisi Cymdeithasol year 2 (BA/APIPC)
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 2 (BA/APIS)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 2 (BA/CYP)
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 2 (BA/CYS)
- X317: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Social Policy year 2 (BA/CYSP)
- X315: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/CYSS)
- X321: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Chymraeg year 2 (BA/PIC)