History Workplace Module S1
Rhedir gan School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Karen Pollock
The placements seek to provide students with an understanding of the practical application of their academic knowledge of History, Welsh History or Archaeology to professional fields that are intimately associated with those disciplines.
The student normally spends one day a week during the appropriate semester, and in total about 70 hours, working in an archives office, an archaeological unit or a museum service undertaking specific tasks of a practical as well as an academic nature as given them by the officer(s) in charge. These typically include drawing up inventories, collating field evidence, drawing up catalogues of discrete manuscript or artefact collections, as well as at times dealing with public enquiries.
Currently the Department has agreements with most of the archive record offices in north Wales, but especially at Caernarfon and Llangefni, with the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, with Oriel Bangor and Oriel Môn at Llangefni and the regimental Museum at Caernarfon. Approved excavation training courses may qualify if of sufficient duration and rigour and conform to the Course Guidelines.
Students should also be aware that there are health and safety implications to all placements.
Threshold students (lower 40s) will demonstrate an appropriate range or depth of knowledge of at least parts of the workplace, and will make partly-successful attempts to frame an argument that engages with the practical work they carried out while in the workplace.
Good students (60s) will show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria of the paragraphs above.
Excellent students (70s and above) will show this level of achievement across the criteria combined with particularly impressive depths of knowledge and/or subtlety of analysis.
Read select texts concerning archival practice or archaeological techniques or museum organisation.
Show regular attendance at the office of the relevant service or unit and adhere to the supervision and direction of the service officers and participate in the public role of that service or unit.
Undertake the searches and/or practical work within the normal sphere of the service or unit's activity.
Produce a report, project or similar work to the professional standard required by the service or unit.
|Work Project Report||100|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The student will be expected to contextualise the workplace experiences by directed reading of material related to the tasks carried out in the workplace environment.
The student will work in a workplace as agreed between the School of History, Welsh History and Archaeology, the workplace, and the student (standing arrangements exist with Caernarfon and Llangefni record offices, with the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, with Oriel Bangor and Oriel Môn at Llangefni and the regimental Museum at Caernarfon. The work placement can also be carried out on excavations run by members of staff in the School.
Students will be advised by the course co-ordinator in individual sessions about progress and written work
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- 3QV1: BA History and English Literature year 3 (BA/ELH)
- P3V1: BA Film Studies and History year 3 (BA/FSH)
- V100: BA History year 3 (BA/H)
- V103: BA History and Archaeology year 3 (BA/HA)
- VV41: BA Herit, Archae & Hist year 3 (BA/HAH)
- VV42: BA Heritage, Archaeology & History with International Exp year 4 (BA/HAHIE)
- MVX1: BA History/Criminology year 3 (BA/HCR)
- LV11: BA History/Economics year 3 (BA/HEC)
- RV11: BA History/French year 4 (BA/HFR)
- RV21: BA History/German year 4 (BA/HG)
- 8B03: BA History (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/HIE)
- RV31: BA History/Italian year 4 (BA/HIT)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- RV41: BA History/Spanish year 4 (BA/HSP)
- LVJ1: BA Cymdeithaseg/Hanes year 3 (BA/HSW)
- V140: BA Modern & Contemporary History year 3 (BA/MCH)
- V130: BA Mediaeval and Early Modern His year 3 (BA/MEMH)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- VVV1: BA Philosophy and Religion and History year 3 (BA/PRH)
- LV31: BA Sociology/History year 3 (BA/SH)
- LV41: BA Social Policy/History year 3 (BA/SPH)
- LVK1: BA Polisi Cymdeithasol/Hanes year 3 (BA/SPWH)
- QV51: BA Cymraeg/History year 3 (BA/WH)
- VV12: BA Welsh History/History year 3 (BA/WHH)
- M1V1: LLB Law with History year 3 (LLB/LH)
- V101: MArts History year 3 (MARTS/HIST)