Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Daniel Roberts
To provide the fundamentals of analogue circuit analysis and design based on discrete devices to prepare learners for module IES2012.
• Circuit symbols and large signal behaviour of resistors, voltage sources and current generator. • Physical explanation of the mode of operation of diodes and Transitors. I-V characteristics. Methods for biasing to operating (quiescent) point. • Large signal vs small signal resistance. Calculating the small signal resistance. Transistor configurations and their small-signal equivalent circuits. Single stage audio and buffer amplifiers, Darlington pairs, Op-amp buffer. • Half-wave rectification, full-wave rectification, bridge rectifier, ripple, Zener stabilisation, IC regulators. Introduction to switch mode power supplies. Voltage doubling - Cockroft Walton stack. RC signal conditioning and diode shaping circuits, DC restoration, clipping, diode gating circuit.
Cyswllt Canlyniad dysgu i Meini Prawf
Distinguish the I-V characteristics of resistors, constant voltage sources, constant current generators and their combinations.
|Can sketch on numerically labeled axes the I-V characteristics of combinations of the elements.||Can sketch the I-V characteristics of the various circuit elements.||Can relate these models to the circuit behaviour of diodes and transistors.|
Understand the large signal behavior of a Diodes and Transistors.
|Can explain the physics underlying the operation of diodes and transistors. Able to analyse bias circuits and can determine currents and voltages in various parts of the circuit. Understands some of the limitations of PSPICE||Can use a load line to determine operating conditions. Can identify the various methods for biasing transistors and can sketch the relevant circuits. Can use PSPICE to simulate circuit operation.||Can undertake numerical calculations relating to diode and transistor circuits. With guidance can design bias circuits taking note of resistor tolerances. Can discuss the pros and cons of the different biasing arrangements|
Understand the small signal behavior of Diodes and Transistors
|Knows that re = 25/I(mA) Can draw a simple equivalent circuit for a transistor . Can sketch circuit diagrams for single stage audio and buffer amplifiers.||Can calculate re from data provided., Can analyse the operation of a single stage amplifier by drawing its equivalent circuit||Can draw a more complex transistor equivalent circuit. With guidance can design a single stage audio or buffer amplifier. Can explain the benefits of using a Darlington pair.|
Know about the applications of diodes.
|Can draw circuit diagrams for each application. Can sketch the output signal from RC circuits of different time constants and diode shaping circuits||Can explain the circuit operation and analyse the relevant analogue circuits. Can calculate the output signals from RC circuits and diode shaping circuits.||With guidance can design circuits and discuss trade-offs, limitations etc in practical circuits.|
|ASESIAD DAMCANIAETHOL ADOLYGOL||Transistor Exercises||10|
|ASESIAD DAMCANIAETHOL ADOLYGOL||Power Supply Design||10|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
2 x 1 hour lecture per week over 12 weeks
1 hour Tutorial every week over 12 weeks
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply underpinning concepts and ideas of engineering;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of the specialist cognate area of electronic engineering in an international context;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions, especially ones that include embedded microprocessors
- Formulate and analyse requirements and practical constraints of products, processes and services, place them in an engineering context and manage their implementation;
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Assess and choose optimal methods and approaches for the specification, design, implementation and evaluation of engineering solutions.
- Systematically review factors affecting the implementation of a project, including safety and sustainability;
- Appreciate the importance of designing products with due regard to good laboratory practice, health and safety considerations and ethical issues.
- Use both verbal and written communication skills to different target audiences;
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant subject specific and general computer software packages.
Introduction to Analogue Electronics - Bryan Hart;
Electronics: circuits and Systems - Owen Bishop;
Microelectronics - Jacob Millman & Arvin Grabel;
Electrical Circuit Theory and Technology - John Bird;
Electronics Fundamentals: Circuits, Devices and Applications - Thomas L. Floyd.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 1 (BA/MEE)
- H612: BEng Computer Systs Eng (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/CSE)
- H61B: BEng Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/CSE1)
- H610: BENG Electronic Engineering (3 yrs) year 1 (BENG/ELE)
- H62B: BEng Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BENG/ELE1)
- H621: BEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (BENG/ELEIE)
- H64B: BSc Computer Sys Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/CSE1)
- H603: BSc Computer Systems Engineering year 1 (BSC/CSENG)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 1 (BSC/EEM)
- H611: BSc Electronic Engineering year 1 (BSC/ELE)
- H63B: BSc Electronic Engineering (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 1 (BSC/ELE1)
- H661: MEng Control and Instrumentation Engineering year 1 (MENG/CIE)
- H660: MEng Critical Safety Engineering year 1 (MENG/CRSEN)
- H617: MEng Computer Systs Eng (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/CSE)
- H619: MEng Computer Systems Engineering (with International Exper) year 1 (MENG/CSEIE)
- H601: MEng Electronic Engineering (4 yrs) year 1 (MENG/EE)
- H618: MEng Electronic Engineering with International Experience year 1 (MENG/EEIE)