Game Design Level & Mechanics
Rhedir gan School of Languages, Literatures, Linguistics and Media
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Eben Muse
Games differ from other media in that the fictional world emerges from the player's actions; it is not defined by an authorial narrative. The game designer prepares a space of potential experience, creating the possibility for the player to explore and engage in ways that will be fun and challenging. In this module you will develop skills in building a world, the rules that govern it and the events with which the player may engage. You will learn to design the look of the level, how the player moves about, the pacing, goals and rewards, character design, plot and narrative. You will have the opportunity in the module to develop your design plans for a series of levels, characters and a narrative that provides engaging challenges suited to a range of player abilities and game progression.
- Game concept and context
- Player and Non Player Character design and function
- Gameplay and Mechanics
- Level structure and narrative pacing
Good (C- to B+)
- Strong knowledge of key areas/principles
- Understanding of theoretical underpinnings
- Evidence of background study
- Limited original interpretation
- Well known links between topics are described
- Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches
- Good presentation with accurate communication
Threshold (D- to D+)
- Knowledge of key areas/principles only
- Weaknesses in understanding of main areas
- Limited evidence of background study
- No original interpretation
- Only major links between topics are described
- Limited problem solving
- Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
Excellent (A- to A**)
- Comprehensive knowledge
- Detailed understanding
- Extensive background study
- Original interpretation
- New links between topics are developed
- New approach to a problem
- Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
Experiement with mechanics and aesthetics to design a series of levels which allow player achievement and emergent gameplay
Develop character concepts (player and non-player) that develop the narrative and provide engaging challenges
Research and employ ideas from the games industry, gaming, consumer research, game theory and narrative theory
Employ production skills to design game mechanics that reflect a range of player abilities, game progression and challenge.
Initiate, develop and realize a consistent and engaging game world concept
|LLYFR LOG NEU BORTFFOLIO||Game Treatment||60.00|
|ASTUDIAETH ACHOS||Game Critique||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Interactive lecture introducing weekly topics and tasks
|Practical classes and workshops||
Small group activities exploring ideas from the readings, lectures and structured activities
Individual research and development work.
Weekly team meetings for idea generation, design and testing
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- An understanding of creative and critical processes, and of the wide range of skills inherent in creative writing. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- An awareness of writing and publishing contexts, opportunities and audiences in the wider world (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.1).
- Artistic engagement and ability to articulate complex ideas in oral and written forms. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Reflective practitioner skills, including awareness of the practice of others in collaborative learning (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Information technology (IT) skills broadly understood and the ability to access, work with and evaluate electronic resources (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
There are no special resource implications for this module, but students are encouraged to purchase the core texts.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-2800.html
Kremers, R. (2010) Level Design: Concept, theory, & practice. Boca Rotan, FL: Peters.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W622: BA Film Studies with Game Design year 2 (BA/FSGD)
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 2 (BA/MSGD)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 2 (BA/PWGD)
- I103: BSc Computer Science with Game Design year 2 (BSC/CSGD)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 2 (BA/CPW)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- P3W8: BA Film Studies and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/FSCW)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/MEN)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MSF)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/MSSOC)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 2 (BA/MUSCW)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 2 (BA/PWF)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)
- GW49: BSC Creative Technologies year 2 (BSC/CT)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 2 (MARTS/CP)