Journalism and Risk
Rhedir gan School of Music and Media
20 Credyd neu 10 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Vian Bakir
This module examines risk (issues involving uncertainty, future-orientation, value judgements, and the possibility of loss or gain), with a focus on the communication of important risk issues of our time - such as terrorism. It examines the development of risk communication, with a focus on journalistic forms and genres, critically exploring issues of trust and expertise. Patterns of journalistic risk reporting are examined across a range of risk issues, such as security risks like terrorism and health risks like 'mad cow' disease. A critical understanding will be gained of journalistic reporting of diverse risks, along with social impacts of 'good' and 'bad' risk reporting.
This course starts by presenting and critiquing the concept of risk, and the development of the field of risk communication. It then examines two key theorists of the 'risk society', namely Ulrich Beck and Anthony Giddens, to explore sociological theoretical foundations that explain inter-relationships of risk, trust, expertise and mass-mediated communication. Building on this theoretical lens, it then moves to examine journalism, risk and trust, looking at patterns of risk reporting in different aspects of the press. In-depth analysis of specific risk issues and their journalistic communication are examined, ranging from health risks like 'mad cow' disease to security risks like terrorism.
Submitted work is of an outstanding quality and excellent in one or more of the following ways:
- Has originality of exposition with the student’s own thinking being readily apparent.
- Provides clear evidence of extensive and relevant independent study.
- Arguments are laid down with clarity and provide the reader with successive stages of consideration to reach conclusions.
Submitted work is adequate and shows an acceptable level of competence as follows:
- Generally accurate but with omissions and errors.
- Assertions are made without clear supporting evidence or reasoning.
- Has structure but is lacking in clarity and therefore relies on the reader to make links and assumptions.
- Draws on a relatively narrow range of material.
Submitted work is competent throughout and may be distinguished by superior style, approach and choice of supporting materials. It:
- Demonstrates good or very good structure and logically developed arguments.
- Draws at least in parts on material that has been sourced and assessed as a result of independent study, or in a way unique to the student.
- Assertions are backed by evidence and sound reasoning.
- Accuracy and presentation in an appropriate academic style.
Understand critically the sociological concepts of risk and trust;
Evaluate and assess empirical and theoretical literature on risk communication and journalism;
Understand the communicative problems and opportunities across different journalistic forms and genres presented by a range of contemporary risk issues;
Critically identify and analyse existing risk communication problems apparent in the world today;
Critically identify and understand journalistic risk communication that reflects best practice guidelines.
|Leading A Seminar||40|
|Essay 2000 Words||60|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Lecture, 1 hour per week
Seminar, 1 hour per week
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- Q5P5: BA Cymraeg gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 3 (BA/CN)
- 065C: BA English Literature with Journalism year 3 (BA/ELJ)
- R1P5: BA French with Journalism year 4 (BA/FRJO)
- R2P5: BA German with Journalism year 4 (BA/GJO)
- V1P5: BA History with Journalism year 3 (BA/HJ)
- V1PM: BA Hanes gyda Newyddiaduraeth year 3 (BA/HN)
- R4P5: BA Spanish with Journalism year 4 (BA/SPJO)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CHCS)
- W890: BA Creative&Professional Writing year 3 (BA/CPW)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 3 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 3 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 4 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 3 (BA/CWMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 3 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 3 (BA/FLM1)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/FSIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 3 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 3 (BA/JMS1)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 3 (BA/MEN)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 3 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 3 (BA/MSG)
- P310: BA Media Studies with Game Design year 3 (BA/MSGD)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 3 (BA/MSIT)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 3 (BA/MSSOC)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 3 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 4 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 3 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 3 (BA/MSTP1)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- W6W8: BA Professional Writing & Film year 3 (BA/PWF)
- W839: BA Professional Writing with Game Design year 3 (BA/PWGD)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 3 (BA/PWM)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 3 (LLB/LMS)
- W900: MArts Creative Practice year 3 (MARTS/CP)
- W891: MArts Professional Writing year 3 (MARTS/PW)