Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Patrick Murphy
To develop a wide range of academic skills such as problem solving in organic, inorganic and physical chemistry. Also to develop précis writing, team working and presentation skills.
This module also consists of sessions involving problem solving in organic, physical and inorganic chemistry. There is team working assessment which is a Peerwise Problem Writing and Peer Feedback exercise. The course involves the students in précis writing and presentational skills as part of the assessment of this module.
Course Team: Dr C Gwenin, Dr K Hughes, Dr L Murphy, Dr J. Thomas Prabhaker, Dr P Murphy, Prof B Paiz, Dr M Lahmann. Dr HY Tai, Dr V Fitzsimmons-Thoss
All Academic staff (assessments).
RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS ESSENTIAL READING 1. Organic Chemistry, Clayden, Greeves, Warren and Wothers (OUP) 2. Inorganic Chemistry, C E Housecroft, A G Sharp (Prentice Hall) 3. Physical Chemistry, Atkins (OUP) Most Recent editions of these as they are regularly updated. RECOMMENDED READING none SPECIFIC RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS FOR STUDENTS It is expected that students will purchase or have ready access to the essential text books above
Threshold (40%). Knowledge and understanding of the content covered in the course is basic; Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved; Transferable skills are at a basic level.
Good (~60%). Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the programme and shows good evidence of enquiry beyond this. Conceptual understanding is good. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved in a logical manner; solutions are generally correct and acceptable. Performance in transferable skills is sound and shows no significant deficiencies.
Excellent (>70%). Knowledge base is extensive and extends well beyond the work covered in the programme. Conceptual understanding is outstanding. Problems of a familiar and unfamiliar nature are solved with efficiency and accuracy; problem-solving procedures are adjusted to the nature of the problem. Performance in transferable skills is generally very good.
Students will be able to solve problems in organic, inorganic and physical chemistry.
Students will be able to summarise and present chemical knowledge in a concise and accurate manner via an oral presentation.
Students will be able to work in teams to create and provide peer feedback on short questions relating to chemistry topics.
Students will be able to summarise advanced chemistry research as presented within School/RSC colloquia
exact date in semester 2 exam period to be specified by University Academic Registry staff
|GWAITH CWRS||Precis Seminars||
timetable dependent in semester 2
timetable dependent in semester 2
|CYFRANOGIAD DOSBARTH||Peerwise Problem Writing and Peer Feedback||
timetable dependent in semester 2
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
9 x 3 hr workshops
RSC Lecture Series 6 1 hour
3 hr Session each student will give an individual oral presentation (approx 10 minutes) on their 3rd year project.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- CC4 The ability to recognise and analyse problems and plan strategies for their solution
- CC5 Skills in the generation, evaluation, interpretation and synthesis of chemical information and data
- CC6 Skills in communicating scientific material and arguments
- CC7 Information technology and data-processing skills, relating to chemical information and data.
- CC8 The ability to adapt and apply methodology to the solution of unfamiliar problems
- PS1 Communication skills, covering both written and oral communication with a variety of audiences
- PS2 Skills in the employment of common conventions and standards in scientific writing, data presentation, and referencing literature
- PS3 Problem-solving skills, relating to qualitative and quantitative information
- PS4 Numeracy and mathematical skills, including handling data, algebra, functions, trigonometry, calculus, vectors and complex numbers, alongside error analysis, order-of-magnitude estimations, systematic use of scientific units and different types of data presentation
- PS5 Information location and retrieval skills, in relation to primary and secondary information sources, and the ability to assess the quality of information accessed
- PS7 Basic interpersonal skills, relating to the ability to interact with other people and to engage in teamworking
- PS8 Time management and organisational skills, as evidenced by the ability to plan and implement efficient and effective ways of working
- PS11 Problem-solving skills including the demonstration of self-direction, initiative and originality
- PS6 Information technology skills which support the location, management, processing, analysis and presentation of scientific information
- SK1 Are fully conversant with major aspects of chemical terminology
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- SK3 Gain knowledge of a range of inorganic and organic materials
- SK9 Read and engage with scientific literature
- CC1 the ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of essential facts,concepts,principles and theories relating to theSubject areasCovered in theirProgramme
- CC2 the ability to applysuch knowledge and understanding to thesolution of qualitative and quantitativeProblems that are mostly of a familiar nature
- PS9 skills needed to undertake appropriate further training of a professional nature
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F100: BSC Chemistry year 3 (BSC/C)
- F102: Chem with Europ Exper year 4 (BSC/CEE)
- F105: BSc Chemistry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CHIE)
- F103: BSC Chem with Ind Exper year 4 (BSC/CIE)
- F104: MChem Chemistry year 3 (MCHEM/CH)
- F106: MChem Chemistry with International Experience year 4 (MCHEM/CHIE)
- F101: MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience year 4 (MCHEM/CIND)