Laboratory Health & Safety
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Patrick Murphy
- To provide a basic safety grounding.
- To produce students with first aid knowledge.
- To teach fire fighting (basic) strategies and give an understanding of the nature and types of fires.
- To put into practice the safety skills learned throughout the rest of the year in all other courses.
*This is a PASS/FAIL MODULE*
This course gives a basic grounding in safety training. A series of videos/lectures are used to give the students awareness of all safety issues which include legal requirements, filling in COSHH assessment forms, use of data bases etc. The students also participate in an intensive first aid course under the guidance of the Red Cross, the successful completion of which results in certification. Also included is a practical fire fighting course where the students learn the basis of fire prevention, the correct techniques in the use of and choices of fire extinguishers. Finally the students are expected to complete an online COSHH/Risk test to indicate that they have put the knowledge into practice in their course e.g. demonstrate the proper use of COSHH assessments etc.
Course Team: Dr P Murphy (3hrs), Red Cross Trainer (4 hrs), Fire Trainer (4 hrs).
RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS ESSENTIAL READING - None RECOMMENDED - None SPECIFIC RESOURCE IMPLICATIONS FOR STUDENTS - questionnaires
This is a PASS/FAIL module a) Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved; b) Transferable skills are at a basic level.
For students entering year 2 (level 5) after September 1st 2013 or MSc students, the threshold criteria are set as follows: Knowledge base covers all essential aspects of subject matter dealt with in the assignment; conceptual understanding is acceptable. a) Problems of a routine nature are generally adequately solved; b) Transferable skills are at a basic level.
The students will obtain knowledge of practical and current first aid skills.
The students will be able to correctly assess an accident situation and act appropriately.
The students will be able to use fire extinguishers correctly and they will be able to critically judge the correct extinguisher to use in a given situation.
The students will have the ability to fill in risk assessment forms and will have a basic knowledge of legal responsibilities.
|Fire safety training||33.30|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- CC7 Information technology and data-processing skills, relating to chemical information and data.
- CP9 Competence in the planning, design and execution of experiments
- CP10 Skills required to work independently and be self-critical in the evaluation of risks, experimental procedures and outcomes
- PS5 Information location and retrieval skills, in relation to primary and secondary information sources, and the ability to assess the quality of information accessed
- PS7 Basic interpersonal skills, relating to the ability to interact with other people and to engage in teamworking
- PS6 Information technology skills which support the location, management, processing, analysis and presentation of scientific information
- PS13 The ability to make decisions in complex and unpredictable situations
- SK2 Demonstrate a systematic understanding of fundamental physicochemical principles with the ability to apply that knowledge to the solution of theoretical and practical problems
- PS16 The ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-skilled teams
- SK8 Develop an understanding of safe working practice, in terms of managing chemical toxicity, chemical stability andchemical reactivity, through knowledge-based risk assessments
- SK12. Planning, including evaluation of hazards and environmental effects.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F104: MChem Chemistry year 4 (MCHEM/CH)
- F106: MChem Chemistry with International Experience year 5 (MCHEM/CHIE)
- F101: MChem Chemistry with Industrial Experience year 5 (MCHEM/CIND)