A Flexible Route to Getting Your Chemistry Degree – The OpenPlus entry route

Bangor University and the Open University have formed a partnership to create a flexible way for you to obtain a Chemistry degree . You will spend two years studying in your own time with the Open University (OU), with successful completion of this component allowing direct transfer to our Chemistry programme as a full time student at Bangor for your final two years. This flexible route is ideal if you cannot attend the University campus on a regular basis during your first two years, or wish to combine work with study before going full time.

How does it work?

For the first two years you study in your own time on a supported open learning course with the Open University, to get a thorough grounding in Chemistry. You will study at home using printed or online learning resources sent to you by the OU, and have support from your OU tutor and other OU staff. You will also take part in a one week residential school at the OU to learn practical laboratory skills. During these two years you will also have a Bangor University Chemistry tutor, and have opportunities to visit the department and participate in undergraduate activities.

Once you have successfully completed the OU component you will join Bangor University as a full time second year student on one of our BSc Chemistry courses.

What are the entry requirements?

An interest and enthusiasm for Chemistry, and a willingness to learn are all that are needed to get started as there are no formal entry requirements for Open University degrees. Entry to the Bangor University Chemistry degree programme is subject to you passing the OU component.


For the first 2 years, students pay OU fees, however there are often a number of ways to get financial assistance. Bangor University fees will apply for your study at Bangor.

How to apply

Entry is via Bangor University, not the Open University. Please contact us if you are interested in applying via this route.

More information can be obtained by contacting us: