Inshore Research Vessels
The School has several workboats to suit a variety of tasks and sea conditions. This fleet of smaller vessels enables biological, chemical, oceanographic and geological sampling in shallower inshore waters that cannot always be accessed by the Research Vessel Prince Madog.
- 7.9m Cheetah catamaran survey boat, certified to MCA category 3
- Reson 7101 (240 kHz) SeaBat Multi-beam system
- large cabin for installing other oceanographic equipment
- winch, davit and gantry for deploying equipment over the side or stern
- small moonpool suitable for installing acoustic transducers for ADCP and multibeam sonar systems
- twin 130 H.P. outboard motors -> top speed of 25 knots -> rapid transit to survey sites.
- 5.5m Leeward 18 survey boat, certified to MCA category 4
- small enough to be trailed by road
- cabin for installing oceanographic survey equipment
The Alwen Môn
- 4.2m aluminium open workboat
- for more sheltered work in estuaries and the Menai Strait