Dr Rhiannon Mathias
- PhD: ‘Taking Liberties: Schoenberg, Gershwin, Stravinsky and Modern Culture’
University of Reading, 2000
- MPhil: ‘Lyrical forms in Beethoven’s late works with particular reference to the Piano Sonata in A flat, Op. 110’
University of Cambridge, 1990
- Arall: B. Mus (First Class Honours)
University of Surrey, 1989
A: Recent and Forthcoming Publications
Chapter: ‘The Symphony in Wales’ in The Symphony in Britain and Ireland Since 1900, Cambridge University Press (forthcoming).
Chapter: ‘Grace Williams and Welsh Music: Triads, Orchestral Music and New Beginnings’ in “Women are not Born to Composer”: Female Musical Works from 1750 to 1950, Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini (forthcoming).
Editor of The Routledge Handbook of Women’s Work in Music (London: Routledge, 2022).
Chapter: 'Women in Composition during the Cold War in Music’ in The Cambridge Companion to Women in Music Since 1900 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2021).
Editor-in-Chief of the Cambridge University Press Elements series on Women in Music (2020-2025).
B: Selected Publications
Chapter: ‘Maconchy’s Late String Quartets’ in Christa Brüstle, ed., ‘Passionately Intellectual, Intellectually Passionate’: Elizabeth Maconchy (1907-1994), (Vienna-London-New York: Universal Edition, 2018).
Article: ‘Women Composers? At Cheltenham?!’ in 2014 Cheltenham Music Festival Programme Booklet.
Book: Lutyens, Maconchy, Williams and Twentieth-Century British Music: A Blest Trio of Sirens (1st edition, Ashgate, 2012: 2nd edition, Routledge, 2016).
- Guy Rickards, Tempo, vol. 67/263 (January 2013), pp. 98-100.
- Jürgen Schaarwächter, British Music Society News, No. 136 (January 2013) pp. 22-23.
- Steph Power, Wales Arts Review, vol. 1/19 (November 2012).
- Colin Anderson, Gramophone (September 2012), pp. 88-89.
Article: ‘William Mathias’s Piano Concertos: Primus Inter Pares’ in Musical Opinion, vol. 135/1489 (July 2012).
C: Research Activities
Director of the International Conferences on Women's Work in Music at Bangor University:
- First International Conference on Women's Work in Music, 4-7 September 2017
- Second International Conference on Women's Work in Music, 4-6 September 2019
- Third International Conference on Women's Work in Music (online), 1-3 September 2021
’Rydwyf yn fodlon goruchwylio cwrs PhD