Disability Sport & Rehab
Rhedir gan School of Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences
10 Credyd neu 5 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Amy Hayes
This module enables students to:
Understand the concepts and theories of disability.
Understand the role of sport in disability.
Understand how disability is influenced by biomedical, psychological and social factors.
Understand and apply the principles of goal-setting and outcome measurement in the rehabilitation setting and to use these to formulate a rehabilitation plan.
Understand the composition and functions of a multidisciplinary rehabilitation team
Appreciate how social systems influence disability in society.
Inclusive coacing in disability sport; participant pathways within disability sport; the biomedical, psychological and social factors affecting disability; formulating rehabilitation plans in different contexts including chronic desease and military injuries.
Please note: Module failure that prevents you passing the year will require resit assessment and attendance at Supplementary Assessment Week (exact date TBC but expected to be second week of July 2018).
Students will demonstrate a basic knowledge of issues relating to sport and disability, and rehabilitation, and an ability to discuss issues. The answers may be lacking critical discussion. There may be minimal or poorly chosen references to support discussion.
C- i C+
Students will demonstrate good knowledge and understanding of issues relating to sport and disability, and rehabilitation. The answers will demonstrate some critical thought and discussion will be supported by some references to recent, relevant literature.
Students will demonstrate excellent knowledge and a clear understanding of issues relating to sport and disability, and rehabilitation. The answers will demonstrate excellent critical thought and discussion will be supported by thorough references to recent, relevant literature.
Demonstrate an understanding and the application of the medical, the bio-psycho-social and rehabilitation models
Formulate a rehabilitation plan with appropriate goals and outcome measures
Interact with disabled individuals
Demonstrate an understanding of the issues relating to sport and disability
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 2-Disability Sport||
You will write a critical essay on disability sport (target 1000 words, equivalent to an effort of approx. 10 hours). In addition to drawing upon published information, your experience in planning and delivering an inclusive lesson plan will also be relevant. Additionally, there will be opportunities to attend local disability sport sessions in order to gain first-hand experience of issues in disability sport. Specific details of the coursework will be available on Blackboard.
|GWAITH CWRS||Coursework 1-Case Study||
You will present a case study (target 1500 words, equivalent to an effort of approx. 15 hours) by assessing the clients needs and constructing and critically discussing a rehabilitation plan.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Weeks 7, 8 and 9 are practical workshops; attendance will result in earning a certificate in “Inclusive Coaching: Disability” from Sports Coach UK. Week 10 consists of Visual Impairment Awareness Training at the North Wales Society for the Blind, Bangor.
Reading time, preparing and completing assessments, pursuing opportunities to volunteer with local disability sport clubs.
Lecture time will consist of a combination of discussion and explanation of concepts, small group discussions and activities, interaction with visiting speakers involved with rehabilitation and disability, and formative assessment feedback opportunities.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- develop a sustained reasoned argument, perhaps challenging previously held assumptions
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
- develop effective learning aids
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Readings are available from the University library.
Fitzgerald, H. (2012) Inclusive Coaching: Disability. Leeds: sports coach UK.
Barnes, M. P. (2005). Oxford handbook of rehabilitation medicine. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Sports Nutrition for Paralympic Athletes. 2014. By Elizabeth Broad.
Additional readings will be referred to in lectures.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- CB69: BSC Sport, Health & Exercise Sci. year 3 (BSC/SHES)
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 3 (MSCI/SHS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- CR6H: BA Italian/Sports Science year 4 (BA/ITSSC)
- CR61: BA Sports Science/French year 4 (BA/SPSFR)
- CR62: BA Sports Science/German year 4 (BA/SPSG)
- CR6K: BA Spanish/Sports Science year 4 (BA/SPSSC)
- CQ65: BA Cymraeg/Sports Science year 3 (BA/SPSW)
- C611: BSc Adventure Sport Science year 3 (BSC/ASS)
- C883: BSc Clinical Sports Science year 3 (BSC/CLSPS)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 3 (BSC/SEXP)
- C651: BSC Sport- Health & Physical Educ year 3 (BSC/SHPE)
- C615: BSc Sport Science (Outdoor Recreation) year 3 (BSC/SOAC)
- C600: BSC Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPS)
- C603: BSc Sports Science year 3 (BSC/SPSC)
- C6N1: BSc Sport Science & Business Manage (Subject to Validation) year 3 (BSC/SSB)
- C604: BSc Sports Science (with International Experience) year 4 (BSC/SSIE)
- C602: BSC Sport Science (ODA) year 3 (BSC/SSOA)
- 2W68: BSc Sports Science (Outdoor Activities) (with Int Exp) year 4 (BSC/SSOIE)
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 3 (MSCI/ASS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 3 (MSCI/SS)
- C609: MSci Sport Science (Outdoor Activities) year 3 (MSCI/SSOA)