- Understanding the relationship between smoking and place across multiple places through the lens of place attachmentParry, S & Hassan, L 2019, 'Understanding the relationship between smoking and place across multiple places through the lens of place attachment' Journal of Environmental Psychology.
- Communicating Messages About DrinkingHassan, L & Shiu, E 2018, 'Communicating Messages About Drinking' Alcohol and Alcoholism, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1-2. DOI: 10.1093/alcalc/agx112
- A systematic review of the efficacy of alcohol warning labelsHassan, L & Shiu, E 2018, 'A systematic review of the efficacy of alcohol warning labels: Insights from qualitative and quantitative research in the new millennium' Journal of Social Marketing, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 333-352. DOI: 10.1108/JSOCM-03-2017-0020
- The influence of social identity on value perceptions and intentionMcGowan, M, Hassan, L & Shiu, E 2017, 'The influence of social identity on value perceptions and intention' Journal of Consumer Behaviour, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 242-253. DOI: 10.1002/cb.1627
Consumers and Communications
PhD students associated with this cluster: Georgina Smith, Surbhi Jain; Rizalniyani Razak
The researchers in the consumers and communications cluster are broadly focused on understanding consumers in various contexts and cultures, investigating the impact of business and governmental strategies mainly in the communications area.
Our research seeks to understand how consumer perceptions and judgments are formed and influence the decision-making process across diverse contexts. Our research focus spans for-profit and non-profit contexts as well as having a special interest in examinations across cultures. The cluster’s research embraces both quantitative and qualitative methods and draws on an eclectic mix of theories including place attachment theory, stakeholder theory, and social identity theory. Information about our recent consumer research event can be found here.
Some of our recent/ongoing projects include:
- Place attachment related to smoking and places
- The effectiveness of alcohol warning labels, for more info see: www.alcoholwarninglabels.info
- Branding destinations online: symbolic and narrative representation and co-branding
- Establishing when identity communications backfire
If you would like more information about our current research projects or our cluster, please email Sara Parry: firstname.lastname@example.org.