Ensembles and Groups B
Rhedir gan School of Music, Drama and Performance
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Andrew Lewis
The aims of the module are to engage with repertoire, styles and performance skills in a group scenario, and to be introduced to the professional practice of ensemble performance. This entails forming ensembles, organising rehearsals, and researching styles and repertoire. It can include arrangement of new repertoire.
Assessment takes into consideration the individual contribution of each performer in the group, as well as how the ensemble performs collectively, including how each member of the group addresses challenges of repertoire and coordination.
Students are encouraged to explore a wide range of styles and genres. These can include 'classical' music of all kinds (including contemporary and historical repertoires), popular music, jazz, traditional music, music from various (world) cultures, and experimental music. Students may need to arrange new repertoire for their ensemble. Collaboration, communication, and style-appropriate improvisation will be emphasised.
The module is open to players of all instruments and singers. It includes opportunities to work with the School's collection of world instruments, and there is scope for creative collaboration between home and international students.
Structured and guided performance workshops: students work in small groups and are provided with suggestions for performing a piece or improvising. The resulting music is performed before the entire class, is discussed, and verbal feedback is given.
Classes introducing ensemble performance concepts, leading to practical experience and experimentation: various approaches to group performance and improvisation are explained and demonstrated. Students then have the opportunity to practice these in performance.
Supervised rehearsals: students work on pieces for examination, with guidance from a tutor. The tutor monitors progress and helps with feedback, suggestions and encouragement.
C– to B+: Performances which are persuasive, displaying good levels of ability in musicality and technique, and with effective contribution to and interaction with other members of the ensemble.
D– to D+: Performances which demonstrate adequate musicality and technique, and adequate contribution to and interaction with other members of the ensemble.
A- to A**: Performances which are compelling and convincing, displaying high levels of musical and technical ability, and which demonstrate a very strong (but not overbearing) contribution to and interaction with other members of the ensemble.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to prepare and perform a mixed recital of ensemble repertoire to an advanced standard.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to evaluate the best approaches to ensemble performance, adjusting co-ordination, tempi, intonation, etc., in synergy with other members of the ensemble.
Upon successful completion of the module, a student will be able to experiment confidently with different musical materials, styles and genres.
A performance of a work in progress.
|ARDDANGOSIAD/YMARFER||Final Performance: individual mark||
A formal performance of the repertoire prepared during the course of the module.
|ARDDANGOSIAD/YMARFER||Final Performance: group mark||
A formal performance of the repertoire prepared during the course of the module.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
11 weekly sessions, each lasting 2 hours.
|Supervised time in studio/workshop||
Up to one hour of supervised rehearsal per week, for 11 weeks.
Group rehearsal, individual practice, and reflection.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Musicianship skills – recognition, classification, contextualisation, reconstruction, exploration
- Re-creative skills – interpretation, innovation, versatility, and other skills relating to performance
- Creative skills – conception, elaboration, adaptation, presentation, collaboration, preservation
- Intellectual skills specific to Music – contextual knowledge, cultural awareness, critical understanding, repertoire knowledge, curiosity, analytical demonstration
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
- Skills of communication and interaction – oral and written communication, public presentation, team-working and collaboration, awareness of professional protocols, sensitivity, ICT skills, etc.
- Skills of personal management – self-motivation, self-critical awareness, independence, entrepreneurship and employment skills, time management and reliability, organisation, etc.
- Enhanced powers of imagination and creativity (4.17)
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
This module makes use of existing high-quality resources within the School.
There is no reading list for this module.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 3 (BA/ACC)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 3 (BA/CSTMUS)
- 32N6: BA English Literature and Music year 3 (BA/ELM)
- 32N7: BA English Literature & Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/ELMIE)
- VW23: BA Hanes Cymru a Cherddoriaeth year 3 (BA/HCAC)
- VW13: BA History and Music year 3 (BA/HMU)
- VW14: BA History and Music with International Experience year 3 (BA/HMUIE)
- W3H6: BA Music and Electronic Engineering year 3 (BA/MEE)
- WV33: Music & Hist & Welsh Hist (IE) year 4 (BA/MHIE)
- W303: BA Music (with International Experience) year 3 (BA/MIE)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 3 (BA/MSMUS)
- RW13: BA Music/French year 4 (BA/MUFR)
- WR32: BA Music/German year 4 (BA/MUGE)
- WR33: BA Music/Italian year 4 (BA/MUIT)
- W300: BA Music year 3 (BA/MUS)
- WW38: BA Music and Creative Writing year 3 (BA/MUSCW)
- W30F: BA Music [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BA/MUSF)
- WW36: BA Music and Film Studies year 3 (BA/MUSFS)
- WR34: BA Music/Spanish year 4 (BA/MUSP)
- VVW3: BA Philosophy and Religion and Music year 3 (BA/PRM)
- VW2H: BA Welsh History and Music year (BA/WHMU)
- QW53: BA Cymraeg/Music year 3 (BA/WMU)
- W304: BMus Music (with International Experience) year 3 (BMUS/MIE)
- W302: BMUS Music year 3 (BMUS/MUS)
- W32F: BMus Music [with Foundation Year] year 3 (BMUS/MUSF)
- H6W3: BSc Electronic Engineering and Music year 3 (BSC/EEM)