Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Ian Harris
The management plan allows students to apply knowledge gained in other modules to solve problems in a 'real world' land use context. Based around a study site (a river catchment / commercial forest blocks) the module provides training in the gathering of relevant information and the utilisation of appropriate spatial data manipulation, evaluative and modelling techniques to prepare a management plan / strategy document to a professional standard.
The module is based on an assessment of an existing site to answer a specific question or series of questions related to the area's land use. Students will be provided with background information and will have opportunities to visit the locations. Using this information plus other relevant physical, biological, technical, economic and spatial data, a management plan / strategy document will be prepared. Students will be provided with a detailed brief that defines the scope of the planning assignment and the outcomes. Tutorial support will be provided to address technical issues as they arise.
Grade D- to D+ The document is logically structured and includes some analysis, evaluation and discussion. The technical parts of the document are described coherently but without detailed analysis or interpretation. There are some errors in the assumptions or calculations. The discussion is limited in scope and depth. The standard of presentation is acceptable, with limited use of maps derived from the datasets provided.
Grade C- to B+ The document is logically structured and includes appropriate analyses, evaluation and discussion. The technical and evaluative parts of the Plan are described coherently with evidence of synthesis, detailed analyses and interpretation. There are very few errors in the assumptions or calculations. The discussion includes critical interpretation and application. The standard of presentation is good, including appropriate mapping derived from the datasets provided.
Grade A- to A** The document is logically structured and includes appropriate analyses, evaluation and discussion. The analyses are detailed with evidence of original thought. The technical and evaluative parts of the Plan are described coherently with evidence of extensive synthesis and in-depth analyses and interpretation. There are no errors in the assumptions or calculations. The discussion includes critical interpretation and application including comments that reflect understanding of the weaknesses and strengths of the methodologies employed. The standard of presentation is high, including high quality maps derived from the datasets provided.
Have gathered relevant biophysical, technical and economic/socio-economic and spatial data to allow an appraisal of the site.
Be familiar with EU / Welsh Government policy and legislation, the policies of statutory bodies plus other relevant organisations regarding the component land uses / designations / management agreements found within the case-study site.
Be aware of legal constraints and appropriate land law.
Have completed a management plan / strategy document for the study site incorporating appropriate technical and financial data where required, using relevant evaluative, modelling and visualisation techniques (e.g. GIS).
|GWAITH CWRS||Management Plan||80.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Site Description||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Computer lab drop-in sessions - 6 x 2 hours to deal with GIS issues / questions on the assignments.
Site visit 1 x 6 hours (may be split) Visit(s) to respective case study sites. Additional visits may be required by particular degree groups.
|Practical classes and workshops||
Tutorials - 1 x 2 hours in Computer Lab Introduction to the spatial datsets for the respective case study sites using ArcGIS software
Seminar - 2 x 1 hour
Introduction to the study site(s) and aims and objectives of the degree-specific planning assessment.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Preparation of effective maps, diagrams and visualizations.
- Appreciation of the complexity and diversity of life processes through the study of organisms.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students taking this module are required to use specific software packages, for which appropriate support and guidance will be provided, along with Microsoft Office components (e.g. Excel; Word)
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3702.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 4 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 3 (BSC/FOR)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/FP)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 3 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 4 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 4 (MFOR/FORP)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D447: BSC Environmental Conservation year 3 (BSC/ECON)
- D448: BSC Environmental Conservation year 4 (BSC/ECON4)
- D451: BSc Environmental Conservation (International Experience) year 4 (BSC/ENIE)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 3 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 4 (MENVSC/ESIE)