Rhedir gan School of History, Law and Social Sciences
60.000 Credydau neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Raimund Karl
To complete a 15,000-20,000 word dissertation based on independent research.
A 15,000-20,000 word dissertation based on independent research.
Threshold students (C/50%) will demonstrate satisfactory research skills in at least parts of their chosen topic, and will make at least partly successful attempts to interrogate and analyse the information and to write up the project in a manner that conforms with the School¿s requirements.
Good students (B/60%) will show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria listed in the paragraphs above.
Excellent students (A/70% and above) will show this solid achievement across the criteria combined with originality, extensive knowledge of the chosen topic in its broader context and subtlety of argument and analysis.
The student will have learnt how to organise the report and dissertation and write at a sustained length in the latter.
The student will have learnt how to present the project satisfactorily for submission.
The student will have learnt how to gather primary and secondary research material for their project.
The student will have learnt how to set this material in a broader context.
The student will have learnt how to construct an argument/analyse the evidence in a relevant manner.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Completion of 15,000-20,000 word dissertation with advice from academic supervisor.
- Literacy - Proficiency in reading and writing through a variety of media
- Numeracy - Proficiency in using numbers at appropriate levels of accuracy
- Computer Literacy - Proficiency in using a varied range of computer software
- Self-Management - Able to work unsupervised in an efficient, punctual and structured manner. To examine the outcomes of tasks and events, and judge levels of quality and importance
- Exploring - Able to investigate, research and consider alternatives
- Information retrieval - Able to access different and multiple sources of information
- Inter-personal - Able to question, actively listen, examine given answers and interact sentistevely with others
- Critical analysis & Problem Solving - Able to deconstruct and analyse problems or complex situations. To find solutions to problems through analyses and exploration of all possibilities using appropriate methods, rescources and creativity.
- Safety-Consciousness - Having an awareness of your immediate environment, and confidence in adhering to health and safety regulations
- Presentation - Able to clearly present information and explanations to an audience. Through the written or oral mode of communication accurately and concisely.
- Teamwork - Able to constructively cooperate with others on a common task, and/or be part of a day-to-day working team
- Mentoring - Able to support, help, guide, inspire and/or coach others
- Caring - Showing concern for others; caring for children, people with disabilities and/or the elderly
- Management - Able to utilise, coordinate and control resources (human, physical and/or financial)
- Argument - Able to put forward, debate and justify an opinion or a course of action, with an individual or in a wider group setting
- Self-awareness & Reflectivity - Having an awareness of your own strengths, weaknesses, aims and objectives. Able to regularly review, evaluate and reflect upon the performance of yourself and others
- Leadership - Able to lead and manage, develop action plans and objectives, offer guidance and direction to others, and cope with the related pressures such authority can result in
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- problem solving to develop solutions to understand the past
- understanding the complexity of change over time; in specific contexts and chronologies
- being sensitive to the differences, or the "otherness" of the past, and the difficulty to using it as a guide to present or future action
- being sensitive to the role of perceptions of the past in contemporary cultures
- producing logical and structured arguments supported by relevant evidence
- planning, designing, executing and documenting a programme of research, working independently
- marshalling and critically appraising other people's arguments, including listening and questioning
- making effective and appropriate use of relevant information technology
- making critical and effective use of information retrieval skills using paper-based and electronic resources
- critical evaluation of one's own and others' opinions
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Each project is different with its own requirements so a general reading list is unnecessary.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- V401: MArts Archaeology year 4 (MARTS/ARCH)
- V102: MArts History with International Experience year 4 (MARTS/HIE)
- V101: MArts History year 4 (MARTS/HIST)