Rhedir gan School of History, Philosophy and Social Sciences
60.000 Credyd neu 30.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Prof Huw Pryce
This course brings together all the skills and experience learnt by the student in Part 1 of the MA course (in Celtic Archaeology, History, or Welsh History) through the successful completion of a piece of scholarly research and writing on a topic chosen by the individual student. This module will enable the student 1. To gather a list of relevant sources for their chosen topic. 2. To gather relevant secondary research material for their chosen topic. 3. To gather relevant primary research material for their chosen topic . 4. To interrogate and analyse their source material in relation to relevant research questions. 5. To construct a coherent chapter plan for their dissertation. 6. To write up the project successfully in a manner that conforms to the conventions of style and presentation required for MA dissertations and detailed in the School¿s MA Style Sheet.
The MA dissertation will set the chosen research in its broader context e.g. historiography, theoretical framework, geographical and historical framework. It will set research questions and a structure will be worked out. It will describe and analyse the chosen topic using a range of relevant secondary and primary evidence. The project will be written up in an ordered manner that conforms with conventions set out in the Style Sheet provided for MA students.
Threshold students (C/50%) will demonstrate satisfactory research skills in at least parts of their chosen topic, and will make at least partly successful attempts to interrogate and analyse the information and to write up the project in a manner that conforms with the School¿s requirements.
Good students (B/60%) will show a solid level of achievement in all the criteria listed in the paragraphs above.
Excellent students (A/70% and above) will show this solid achievement across the criteria combined with originality, extensive knowledge of the chosen topic in its broader context and subtlety of argument and analysis.
The student will have learnt how to gather primary and secondary research material for their project.
The student will have learnt how to set this material in a broader context.
The student will have learnt how to construct an argument/analyse the evidence in a relevant manner.
The student will have learnt how to organise the report and dissertation and write at a sustained length in the latter.
The student will have learnt how to present the project satisfactorily for submission.
|15000-2000 word Dissertation||100.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Completion of dissertation with advice from academic supervisor.
The student will have been prepared for the dissertation by taking the module Initiating a Research Project (HPH 4008). For the dissertation itself the student will produce a substantive piece of independent research and writing on a topic agreed with his or her supervisor: c.594 hours independent study. This may consis of library and archive research, fieldwork, data organisation and writing up. Each student is allocated a dissertation supervisor who will meet him or her initially in June and then at regular intervals to monitor progress and provide feedback on written drafts: c.6 hours. Total: 600 hours.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- problem solving to develop solutions to understand the past
- understanding the complexity of change over time; in specific contexts and chronologies
- being sensitive to the differences, or the "otherness" of the past, and the difficulty to using it as a guide to present or future action
- being sensitive to the role of perceptions of the past in contemporary cultures
- producing logical and structured arguments supported by relevant evidence
- planning, designing, executing and documenting a programme of research, working independently
- marshalling and critically appraising other people's arguments, including listening and questioning
- making effective and appropriate use of relevant information technology
- making critical and effective use of information retrieval skills using paper-based and electronic resources
- critical evaluation of one's own and others' opinions