Mathematics for Computing
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr David Evans
This module aims to provide:
- a grounding in computational thinking.
- an understanding of the fundamental mathematics underlying all computing.
- experience dealing with the mathematical structures under-pinning programming and data structures.
- a revision of and practice with elementary algebra.
Indicative content includes:
- Introduce and use Graphs and Digraphs
- Apply Greedy Algorithms to various graphs
- Look at the fundamental of Sets and how to use them
- Learn to build Venn Diagrams
- Gain the concepts of Boolean algebra and Karnaugh maps to solve logic problems
- Use Lists in relation to algorithms
- Apply the use of Binary Trees for given problems
- Write Linear Difference Equations for various situations
- Gain a foundation in Differentiation both in theory and application.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Understand graph and digraph problems and algorithms for solving them.
Calculate probabilities for elementary and compound events.
Understand polynomial functions, and their derivatives.
Apply elementary algebra.
Perform basic matrix and vector operations.
|GWAITH CWRS||Semester 2 - Assignment 1||
Matrix types, operations, vectors. Solving systems of equations using matrix techniques.
|GWAITH CWRS||Semester 2 - Assignment 2||
Further Matrix methods. Probability Theory.
Graph and set theory, algebra, Boolean Algebra and structures.
Matrix, vector and probability.
|GWAITH CWRS||Semester 1 - Assignment 1||
Graphs, polynomials and basic algebra
|GWAITH CWRS||Semester 1 - Assignment 2||
Graphs, Calculus, Boolean Algebra, Advanced Algebra (including Determinant Theory)
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Traditional lectures (2hrs x 24 weeks).
Supporting tutorials (1hr x 24 weeks).
Tutor-directed private study, including preparation and revision.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Solve problems logically and systematically;
- Knowledge and understanding of facts, concepts, principles & theories
- Problem solving strategies
- Development of general transferable skills
- Knowledge and/or understanding of appropriate scientific and engineering principles
- Knowledge and understanding of mathematical principles
- Knowledge and understanding of computational modelling
- Principles of appropriate supporting engineering and scientific disciplines
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- G400: BSC Computer Science year 1 (BSC/CS)
- G40B: BSc Computer Science (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/CS1)
- G40F: BSc Computer Science year 1 (BSC/CSF)
- I103: BSc Computer Science with Game Design year 1 (BSC/CSGD)
- I102: BSc Computer Science (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/CSIE)
- H118: BSc Data Science & Artificial Intelligencetellig year 1 (BSC/DSAI)
- H113: BSc Data Science and Machine Learning year 1 (BSC/DSML)
- H114: BSc Data Science and Visualisation year 1 (BSC/DSV)
- H117: MComp Computer Science year 1 (MCOMP/CS)