Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr David Edward Perkins
This module covers a wide range of topics relating to network and server based security. With most organisations now heavily dependent on information technology, the impact of any interruption of or damage to data or systems whether caused accidentally or maliciously is likely to be considerable.
Through a mix of practical exercises, group discussion and research, students investigate the wide range of factors which must be taken into account when attempting to assure network and data security.
Indicative content includes:
- Security concepts (e.g. CIA (confidentiality, integrity, availability), AAA (authentication, authorization, and accounting), assets, vulnerabilities, threats, countermeasures)
- Business impact of security breaches (e.g. loss of business, damage to reputation, denial of service, data loss or damage, legal action)
- Physical security (e.g. physical access control, audit trails / access logs, restricted areas, visitor control, design & location of server and equipment rooms, electrical supplies, HVAC, water, fire detection / suppression)
- Software and network security (e.g. encryption, firewalls, VPNs, intrusion detection, malware detection, user access levels, passwords, software updates, backups)
- Personnel considerations (e.g. Policies & procedures, hiring, disciplinary, termination, separation of duties, contractors, security, acceptable use, training / awareness / communication)
- Legislation & Compliance (e.g. Data protection, computer misuse, freedom of information, copyright, data storage location)
Equivalent to 40%. Uses key areas of theory or knowledge to meet the Learning Outcomes of the module. Is able to formulate an appropriate solution to accurately solve tasks and questions. Can identify individual aspects, but lacks an awareness of links between them and the wider contexts. Outputs can be understood, but lack structure and/or coherence.
Equivalent to the range 60%-69%. Is able to analyse a task or problem to decide which aspects of theory and knowledge to apply. Solutions are of a workable quality, demonstrating understanding of underlying principles. Major themes can be linked appropriately but may not be able to extend this to individual aspects. Outputs are readily understood, with an appropriate structure but may lack sophistication.
Equivalent to the range 70%+. Assemble critically evaluated, relevent areas of knowledge and theory to constuct professional-level solutions to tasks and questions presented. Is able to cross-link themes and aspects to draw considered conclusions. Presents outputs in a cohesive, accurate, and efficient manner.
Use a range of software tools to investigate network security issues
Analyse potential network security threats faced by small to medium enterprises (SMEs)
Implement common network security measures
Recommend suitable counter measures to network security threats faced by SMEs
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
The classroom-based element will include student-centred learning methods such as interactive lectures, case studies, group discussions and practical workshops.
The tutor directed student learning will be supported by online learning materials hosted or signposted on the VLE.
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Problem solving strategies
- Analyse if/how a system meets current and future requirements
- Deploy theory in design, implementation and evaluation of systems
- Recognise legal, social, ethical & professional issues
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial and economic issues
- Knowledge of information security issues
- Evaluate systems in terms of quality and trade-offs
- Work as a member of a development team
- Development of general transferable skills
- Deploy systems to meet business goals
- Defining problems, managing design process and evaluating outcomes
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- H115: BSc Applied Cyber Security (Degree Apprenticeship) year 2 (BSC/ACS)
- H119: BSc Applied Cyber Security (Coleg Cambria) year 2 (BSC/ACSC)