Vocational and Research Skills
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Alyson Moyes
To introduce a range of transferable skills to students, including those linked to the specific vocations of biomedical, medical science and medical biology. Lectures in will aim at helping students to appreciate the wider employability options available to them, and how they can best prepare for this (for example with CV writing seminars). As well as introducing them to critical thinking skills that will be required for project work. All students will develop a mini literature review which will help prepare them for their third year research projects.
The key themes of this module will include building awareness on employment options, through showcasing of different vocational avenues. Preparing students for the world of work with the development of vocation skills (eg. communication, writing skills and critical thinking). In addition to the development of analytical and critical analysis skills, and an introduction to data analysis.
70%+ - An excellent student should be able to demonstrate the skills necessary for self-managed and lifelong learning (working independently and in teams, time management and organisation) and have a detailed in depth knowledge of all aspects of the module. Written answers should have an extremely high standard of presentation, structure and clarity with a very well argued coverage of accurate and relevant information with significant evidence of background reading. Oral presentation skills should be of a high standard, with extended knowledge of subject apparent and a developed style of presentation (e.g. good eye contact, clarity of voice, limited use of notes cards).
Evidence of wider reading & critical thinking is required for A+ and A* marks.
40% - 49% - A threshold student should have a basic knowledge of the essential facts and key concepts of the topics presented in the module. A basic ability to organise and present information and answer questions with relevant facts and understanding of the subject matter and oral presentation skills should be adequate and demonstrate basic understanding of material.
C- i C+
50% - 59% - A less engaged student would have a correct understanding of the essential facts and key concepts of the topics presented in the module. A sound ability to organise and present information and answer questions with relevant facts and understanding of the subject matter and oral presentation skills should be adequate and demonstrate basic understanding of material.
60% - 69% - A good student should have a thorough factual knowledge and understanding of the information requested in the module, and to be able to detail examples where appropriate and answer questions in a well-organised and reasoned manner. They must be able to demonstrate the ability to work with others to achieve the most favourable outcome, be well- organised and show technical expertise and imagination to enable information to be presented in a logical, reasoned and articulate manner.
Evidence the ability to read and understand topical research, drawing from it the main focus, and evaluating its content via critical analysis.
Apply understanding of research skills and study design to produce a mini literature review
Show evidence of fully utilising primary research from appropriate internet or electronic sources to support learning, demonstrating the application of critical analysis skills.
|GWAITH CWRS||Mini Literature review||50.00|
|GWAITH CWRS||Critical Analysis||50.00|
This is an optional component. Students are invited to submit a CV as part of their career development. This can be sent to employability services for review if students wish.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Optional drop in sessions for mini literature review and critical analysis coursework assignments
Students will use independing private study to read around the subject and to develop and in depth understanding of the topic. This may be achieved via directed reading or set tasks.
10 x 2 hour lectures will be delivered to cover the key course material.
8 x 2 hour seminars, students will be given the opportunity to engage with a range of seminar topics including those allied to data analysis and literature searching.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.