Human Language and its Disorders
Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Manon Jones
Language is fundamental to human experience, providing tools with which to think and a way for us to communicate complex thoughts with others. Language is also an excellent system to understand how the human mind works. This module will provide an introduction to the psychological study of language, including language acquisition (how do infants and adults learn languages?), understanding (how do we convert auditory and/or visual signals into meaning?), and speaking (how do we convert our thoughts into sequences of motor movements in order to communicate meaningfully with others?). We will also consider the causes and characteristics of language disorders, such as aphasia and dyslexia.
Although the precise plan may vary from year to year, topics covered will typically include: language acquisition and developmental disorders; language understanding and speaking; reading and its disorders; multilingualism; linguistic relativity; language innateness.
A* to A- Work displays comprehensive knowledge and detailed understanding, reflecting extensive background study. The work is highly focussed, well structured, logically presented, and with defended arguments. The work contains original interpretation, and new links between topics are developed. The work is presented to a high standard, with accurate communication and no factual or computational errors.
C- i C+
C- to C+ Work displays only knowledge of key areas/principles, with limited evidence of original interpretation or relevant background study. The work contains some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure. Arguments are presented, but they lack coherence. The work contains factual or computational errors with little evidence of problem solving.There are weaknesses in the standard of the presentation and its accuracy.
B+ to B- Work displays sound knowledge and understanding, but with some limitations. There is evidence of background study. The work has a defined and logical structure, but with some weaknesses in the way in which arguments are presented. There is some original interpretation and demonstration of links between topics. The work is presented carefully with accurate communication and few factual or computational errors.
Debate whether language can tell us more about the human mind, including its possible effects on perception and other non-linguistic cognition.
Show an understanding of common language disorders in the context of typical language processing, including associated causal hypotheses and debates.
Show an understanding of the key debates surrounding the uniqueness of language to humans.
Be able to identify and discuss the major issues and any associated theories and findings concerning how humans learn, understand, produce, and mentally represent language, both in spoken and written form.
Show an ability to describe and debate the foundations of language at both cognitive and neurobiological levels.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Directed reading (5 hours per week) and assessment preparation (11.5 hours per exam). Contribution to debate in the discussion forum on Blackboard. Topic set by the lecturer each week.
One two-hour lecture per week. Pre-recorded panopto lecturers with MCQs, followed by optional discussion with the lecturer.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
The library already has both paper and electronic versions of the core text, but should update to the latest edition. Paperback copies of the core text are currently available on Amazon for £26.98.
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ppp-1009.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X320: BA Astudiaethau Plentyndod ac Ieuenctid a Seicoleg year 1 (BA/APIS)
- LC31: BA Criminology & Crim Justice & Psychology (with Int Exp) year 1 (BA/CCJPIE)
- MC98: BA Criminology/Psychology year 1 (BA/CRP)
- X319: BA Childhood and Youth Studies and Psychology year 1 (BA/CYP)
- CQ83: BA English Language & Psychology year 1 (BA/ELPSY)
- R181: BA French with Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BA/FPIE)
- R2C8: BA German with Psychology year 1 (BA/GPSY)
- Q1C8: BA Linguistics and Psychology year 1 (BA/LP)
- CL83: BA Sociology/Psychology year 1 (BA/PS)
- CL84: BA Social Policy/Psychology year 1 (BA/SPP)
- CL85: BA Social Policy & Psychology with International Experience year 1 (BA/SPPIE)
- C880: BSC Psych with Cl & Hlth Psych year 1 (BSC/PHS)
- C88B: BSc Psychology w Clin & Health Psy (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PHS1)
- 8X44: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology (Int Exp) year 1 (BSC/PHSIE)
- C88P: BSc Psychology with Clinical & Health Psy with Placement Yr year 1 (BSC/PHSP)
- C804: BSc Psychology (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PIE)
- C800: BSC Psychology year 1 (BSC/PS)
- C81B: BSc Psychology (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 1 (BSC/PS1)
- C80F: BSc Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSF)
- C80P: BSc Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSP)
- C813: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology year 1 (BSC/PSYFP)
- C84B: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psych (4 yr with Incorp Foundn) year 1 (BSC/PSYFP1)
- C81P: BSc Psychology with Forensic Psychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYFPP)
- C801: BSC Psychol w Neuropsychol year 1 (BSC/PSYN)
- C83B: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology (4yr with Incorp Found) year 1 (BSC/PSYN1)
- C809: BSc Psychology with Neuropsy (with International Experience) year 1 (BSC/PSYNIE)
- C84P: BSc Psychology with Neuropsychology with Placement Year year 1 (BSC/PSYNP)
- C681: BSc Sport & Exercise Psychology w International Experience year 1 (BSC/SEPIE)
- C680: BSc Sport and Exercise Psychology year 1 (BSC/SEXP)
- M1C8: LLB Law with Psychology year 1 (LLB/LPSY)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- N5C8: BSc Marketing with Psychology year 1 (BSC/MP)