Dissertation for MScience
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
40.000 Credyd neu 20.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Thandi Gilder
The aim of this module is to provide students with first-hand experience of conducting psychological research. This module will build on their previous experience in PPP3001/PCC3001/PCC3000/PPP3000 to further develop their skills in collating and reviewing literature, experimental design, data collection, data analysis and interpretation. This module will also provide an opportunity to develop planning, organizational, and team-working abilities.
Students in this module will conduct a research study with the aim of further developing the theories explored in PPP3001/PCC3001/PCC3000/PPP3000 . Students will carry out a substantial piece of empirical research developing knowledge and skill in the following areas: defining a research problem with a testable hypothesis/research question; learning appropriate methodologies; planning and carrying out a study efficiently; demonstrating awareness of ethical issues and current codes of ethics and conduct; demonstrating the ability to reason about data and present findings effectively; discussing findings in terms of previous research; evaluating methodologies and analyses employed and implications for ethics; and collaborating effectively with colleagues, participants, and/or outside agencies.
• Full engagement with the research process, including literature review, data collection and analysis, and report writing. • Adequate knowledge of key concepts with some understanding of theoretical issues but some factual errors. • Limited evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of hypothesis and theory. • Some understanding of research methods and appreciation of ethical issues, but some errors in statistical analysis. • Weak written presentation, but some evidence of coherent expression.
• Full engagement with the research process, including literature review, data collection and analysis, and report writing. • Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of key concepts with excellent understanding and original interpretation of theoretical issues and no factual errors. • Clear evidence of critical analysis and insightful evaluation of hypothesis and theory. • Depth of insight and clear understanding of research methods and clear appreciation of ethical issues, with no errors in statistical analysis. • Well-structured written presentations showing focus and clarity of argument and expression.
• Full engagement with the research process, including literature review, data collection and analysis, and report writing. • Strong knowledge of key concepts with solid understanding of theoretical issues and few factual errors. • Some evidence of critical analysis and evaluation of hypothesis and theory. • Some insight and understanding of research methods and clear appreciation of ethical issues, with only minor errors in statistical analysis. • Well-structured written presentation showing focus of argument and expression.
Design and conduct a research study testing a psychological hypothesis
Collect and analyse data gathered during research and draw appropriate conclusions on the basis of this analysis
Present the research findings in a formal thesis
Present research findings in a short oral presentation.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Be computer literate for the purpose of processing and disseminating psychological data and information.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Use effectively personal planning and project management skills.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Carry out empirical studies by operationalizing research questions, generating hypotheses, collecting data using a variety of methods, analysing data using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and present and evaluate research findings (under appropriate supervision).
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Use a range of statistical methods with confidence.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Use a variety of psychological tools, including specialist software, laboratory equipment and psychometric instruments.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 4 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 4 (MSCI/PS)