Media, Politics and Society
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Ifan Jones
The aim of this module is to examine the media within its socio-political context, looking at the way in which both media texts and media institutions are shaped by social and political pressures, as well as the impact of the media on politics and society.
This module will help students answer challenging and important questions by introducing key media theories and using them to think about power in our society. Students will learn how to assess and discuss the relevance and impact of milestones in media and mass communications theory from the nineteenth century to the present, exploring theoretical approaches to media content, production, regulation and reception, including key themes such as freedom of speech, public sphere and political economy.
On completion of this module students will understand the structures and workings of local, regional and national government. The module will provide students with an understanding of the relationship between journalists/the news media and the public including concepts of the public as citizens and consumers, as well as differing approaches to measuring and understanding media audiences.
B- to B+ (60-69%) - Strong knowledge - Understands most but not all - Evidence of background study - Focused answer with good structure - Arguments presented coherently - Mostly free of factual/computational errors - Some limited original interpretation - Well known links between topics are described - Problems addressed by existing methods/approaches - Good presentation with accurate communication
A- to A* (70% +) - Comprehensive knowledge - Detailed understanding - Extensive background study - Highly focused answer and well structured - Logically presented and defended arguments - No factual/computational errors - Original interpretation - New links between topics are developed - New approach to a problem - Excellent presentation with very accurate communication
C- i C+
C- to C+ (50-59%) - Knowledge of key areas/principles - Understands main areas - Limited evidence of background study - Answer focused on question but also with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure - Arguments presented but lack coherence - Has several factual/computational errors - No original interpretation - Only major links between topics are described - Limited problem solving - Some weaknesses in presentation and accuracy
D- to D+ (40-49%) - Knowledge of key areas/principles only - Weaknesses in understanding of main areas - Limited evidence of background study - Answer only poorly focused on question and with some irrelevant material and poor structure - Arguments presented but lack coherence - Several factual/computational errors - No original interpretation - Only major links between topics are described - Limited problem solving - Many weaknesses in presentation and accuracy - Exceeds expectations for some primary criteria - Moderate factual knowledge with several weaknesses in understanding - A few ideas/arguments are presented but with weaknesses
Explain the relationship between political structures, social changes, and media institutions
Demonstrate a strong understanding of key theoretical concepts and debates in media studies.
Use evidence to support academic arguments about the role of the media in society.
Demonstrate the ability to present critical arguments regarding the influence of politics on media institutions
|2000 Word Essay||60.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
11 x 1 hour weekly lecture
11 x 1 hour weekly seminar
Students will be expected to work individually, undertaking research relevant to their assessment.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Ability to connect creative and critical ideas between and among forms, techniques and types of creative and critical praxis. (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Awareness of how different social and cultural contexts affect the nature of language and meaning (English Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- The ability to synthesize information from various sources, choosing and applying appropriate concepts and methods (English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to formulate and solve problems, anticipate and accommodate change, and work within contexts of ambiguity, uncertainty and unfamiliarity (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Ability to engage in processes of drafting and redrafting texts to achieve clarity of expression and an appropriate style. (English Benchmark Statement 3.3; NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2).
- Ability to gather information, analyse, interpret and discuss different viewpoints (NAWE Creative Writing Benchmark Statement 3.2; English Benchmark Statement 3.3).
- Intellectual skills shared with other disciplines – research and exploration, reasoning and logic, understanding, critical judgement, assimilation and application
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/uxs-2046.html
Butsch, R. (2007). Media and Public Spheres. London: Palgrave Macmillan UK. Curran, J. (2002). Media, power and politics Doyle, G. (2002). Media Ownership The Economics and Politics of Convergence and Concentration in the UK and European Media. London: SAGE Publications. Feintuck, & Varney. (2006). Media regulation, public interest and the law. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press Freedman, D. (2013). The Politics of Media Policy. Hoboken: Wiley. Hallin, D., & Mancini, P. (2012). Comparing media systems beyond the Western world (Communication, society, and politics). New York: Cambridge University Press. Kuhn, R. (2007). Politics and the media in Britain (Contemporary political studies series). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. Lunt, P., & Livingstone, S. (2012). Media regulation: Governance and the interests of citizens and consumers. McCargo, D (2003). Media and Politics in Pacific Asia (Politics in Asia). Taylor and Francis. McChesney, R. (2015). Rich Media, Poor Democracy : Communication Politics in Dubious Times. New York: The New Press Oates, S. (2008). Introduction to Media and Politics. London: Sage Publications. Street, J. (2001). Mass media, politics, and democracy. New York: Palgrave. 20 Siebert, F., Peterson, T., & Schramm, W. (1956). Four theories of the press: The authoritarian, libertarian, social responsibility, and Soviet communist concepts of what the press should be and do. Chicago, IL: University of Illinois press.
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W3P3: BA Astudiaethau'r Cyfr & Cherdd year 2 (BA/ACC)
- PQ54: BA English Lang & Journalism with International Experience year 2 (BA/ELJIE)
- PQ53: BA English Language & Journalism year 2 (BA/ELJO)
- P500: BA Journalism (Subject to Validation) year 2 (BA/J)
- P306: BA Media Studies year 2 (BA/MS)
- P31B: BA Media Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/MS1)
- P30F: BA Media Studies [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/MSF)
- P3R1: BA Media Studies with French year 2 (BA/MSFR)
- P3R2: BA Media Studies with German year 2 (BA/MSG)
- 8U76: BA Media Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSIE)
- P3R3: BA Media Studies with Italian year 2 (BA/MSIT)
- P30P: BA Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/MSP)
- P3R4: BA Media Studies with Spanish year 2 (BA/MSSP)
- P3R5: BA Media Stud with Spanish (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/MSSPIE)
- P3WL: BA Media Studies with Theatre and Performance year 2 (BA/MSTP)
- P3WB: BA Media Stud with Theatre & Perform (4yr with Incorp Found) year 2 (BA/MSTP1)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- T103: BA Chinese and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CHCS)
- WPQ1: BA Creative Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/CSIE)
- WPQ0: BA Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CST)
- WPQB: BA Creative Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/CST1)
- WQ93: BA Creative Stds & English Lang. year 2 (BA/CSTEL)
- WR91: BA French and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTFR)
- WR92: BA German and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTG)
- WR93: BA Italian and Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTITAL)
- WW93: BA Creative Studies and Music year 2 (BA/CSTMUS)
- WR94: BA Spanish & Creative Studies year 2 (BA/CSTSP)
- WP83: BA Media Studies & Creative Wrtng year 2 (BA/CWMS)
- Q3P3: BA English Lang with Media Stds year 2 (BA/ELMS)
- W620: BA Film Studies year 2 (BA/FLM)
- W62B: BA Film Studies (4 year with Incorporated Foundation) year 2 (BA/FLM1)
- W62P: BA Film Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/FLMP)
- 2W89: BA Film Studies (with International Experience) year 2 (BA/FSIE)
- PP53: BA Journalism and Media Studies year 2 (BA/JMS)
- PP5B: BA Journalism & Media Studies (4yr with Incorp Foundation) year 2 (BA/JMS1)
- PP54: BA Journalism & Media Studies with International Experience year 2 (BA/JMSIE)
- PP5P: BA Journalism and Media Studies with Placement Year year 2 (BA/JMSP)
- 3HPQ: BA Media Studies and English Literature year 2 (BA/MEN)
- PW33: BA Media Studies and Music year 2 (BA/MSMUS)
- LP33: BA Media Studies and Sociology year 2 (BA/MSSOC)
- L200: BA Politics year 2 (BA/POL)
- L202: BA Politics and Economics year 2 (BA/POLEC)
- L20F: BA Politics [with Foundation Year] year 2 (BA/POLF)
- L201: BA Politics with Placement Year year 2 (BA/POLP)
- P3W9: BA Professional Writing and Media year 2 (BA/PWM)
- M1P1: LLB Law with Media Studies year 2 (LLB/LMS)
- M1P2: LLB Law with Media Studies (International Experience) year 2 (LLB/LMSI)