Intro to Childhood Research
Rhedir gan School of Education and Human Development
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Mr Gwilym Sion ap Gruffudd
This module critically discusses Childhood Studies as an international field of academic study. The module will consider the history of Childhood Studies, its development and position in relation to other fields such as sociology, psychology, education and beyond. The module will also identify the importance of research in developing the field. Key terms and ideas within research will be discussed, including an introduction to research design, methodology and context. A key focus of the module will be considering how ‘good’ research in the field is constructed and conducted. The module will discuss the various standpoints of researchers in relation to children and childhood. It will consider how to ensure research is of a good quality and ethical with a specific focus on the ethics of research with children.
The module will set the context for Childhood Studies and research within this field through discussion of the following topics: - The history of Childhood Studies as an academic field. - What makes good quality research? - Key considerations for research with children. - Important terms and ideas that underpin research in Childhood Studies. - How research findings are shared and their importance to practice.
Threshold (D-, D, D+): A satisfactory knowledge and understanding of the academic field of Childhood Studies. Able to give a basic explanation of the key ideas in the field and note the researchers associated with these. An adequate ability to evaluate the quality and reliability of previous research in relation to children and childhood. Able to give a satisfactory account of the key issues in relation to research with children and show an adequate understanding of ethical issues relevant to this work.
Good (C-, C, C+): A good knowledge and understanding of the academic field of Childhood Studies. Able to give a clear and detailed explanation of the key ideas in the field and note the researchers associated with these. A good ability to evaluate the quality and reliability of previous research in relation to children and childhood. Able to give a detailed account of key issues in relation to research with children and show a good understanding of ethical issues relevant to this work.
Excellent (A-, A, A+, A*): A comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the academic field of Childhood Studies Able to give a thorough and well-researched explanation of the key ideas in the field with clear citations to the relevant researchers. An exceptional ability to evaluate the quality and reliability of previous research in relation to children and childhood. Able to give a thorough and considered account of key issues in relation to research with children and show a good understanding of ethical issues relevant to this work.
- Explain how reliable, contemporary research is designed and conducted within Childhood Studies and related fields.
- Discuss the specific issues related to research with children including ethical considerations.
- Evaluate the quality and reliability of previous research in relation to children and childhood.
- Interpret meaning from research sources and apply this to inform discussion and/or practice with children
|Assignment 1 - Research Article Summary||50.00|
|Assignment 2 - Research Article Critique||50.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Introduction to some key topics in childhood research
Guided discussion of research articles
Individual tutorials for each assignment
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- reflect upon a range of psychological sociological health historical and philosophical perspectives and consider how these underpin different understandings of babies and young children and childhood
- apply multiple perspectives to early childhood issues recognising that early childhood studies involves a range of research methods theories evidence and applications
- integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in early childhood studies and recognise distinctive early childhood studies approaches to relevant issues
- evaluate competing positions in relation to the construction of babies and young children and childhood by different subjects societal agents and time place and culture
- constructively critique theories practice and research in the area of child development
- reflect upon the ethics of studying babies and young children and their families and communities
Christensen, P. and James, A. (eds) (2008) Research with Children: Perspectives and Practice, 2nd edition, Oxon/New York: Routledge
Heath, S., Brooks, R., Cleaver, E., and Ireland, E. (2009) Researching Young People’s Lives, London: Sage
Kellett, M. (2010) Rethinking Children and Research, Attitudes in Contemporary Society, London/New York: Continuum
Tisdall, E.K., Gallagher, M. and Davies, J. (2009) Researching with children and young people – Research design, methods and analysis, London: Sage
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X313: BA Childhood and Youth Studies year 1 (BA/CYS)