XUE-1044 Design and Manufacture
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Peredur Williams
Through a focused design brief and project, this module gives students' the opportunity to further develop the skills, knowledge and understanding required to be a professional designer and practitioner. Students will research, design and manufacture a working and user-testable prototype/s of a new product.
This module will enable students to develop their prototyping and manufacturing skills, develop their understanding and practical application of health and safety issues, as well as knowledge of materials and designing for manufacture.
It also develops the students' knowledge and competencies in the use of Computer Aided Design, 3D printing and the use of digital graphic software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign).
Students will also be introduced to control hardware and software.
This is an 8-week module, and will consist of either one or two design briefs from an external company. The design project will introduce students to the Bangor Design Process, which will be used to structure the management of design projects and consists of four phases known as gates (or crits).
In addition to the design studies, a weekly series of exercises and taught sessions will include Digital Graphics, control technology (Arduino) and workshop session to develop manufacturing skills and competencies through a dedicated design challenge.
Assessment will be a combination of design work, presentations (maximum of 5 minutes), evidence of completed exercises and CV quality portfolio.
See the learning outcomes.
A good overall grasp of all the learning outcomes and how they relate to one another.
A very good grasp of all the learning outcomes and the ability to reflect on their relationship to one another in an analytic way.
Understand and apply the use of a commercial design process to complete a given brief.
Develop a creative and critical mindset when approaching and implementing a design process. (Skills such as divergent and convergent thinking, researching, synthesising, evaluating and decision-making will be evident).
Manufacturing and prototyping - To further develop manufacturing skills and an understanding of quality within a workshop and manufacturing setting. Understanding and application of safe working practices and material choices will also be developed.
Be able to effectively communicate design intent through various methods (sketching, prototyping, digital) in both informal and formal situations.
Begin to develop an understanding of control electronics (Arduino) and their applications within product design.
|GATE 1: JUSTIFY THE NEED||11.00|
|GATE 2: IDEATION & DEVELOPMENT: Portfolio||13.75|
|GATE 2: IDEATION & DEVELOPMENT:Presentation||2.75|
|GATE 3: REFINEMENT & DELIVERY: Portfolio||16.50|
|GATE 3: REFINEMENT & DELIVERY: Presentation||5.50|
|GATE 4: NEXT PHASE||5.50|
|DIGITAL GRAPHICS - Product Story for Portfolio/CV||15.00|
|ARDUINO TASK EVIDENCE||15.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Arduino and Digital Graphics
|Practical classes and workshops||
Subject classes and workshop over 8 weeks
Workshop and manufacturing skills development
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply convergent and divergent thinking in the processes of observation, investigation, speculative enquiry, visualisation and/or making for problem solving and generating well-informed critical viewpoints
- Generate ideas, concepts, proposals, solutions or arguments independently and/or collaboratively in response to set briefs and/or as self-initiated activity
- Relate the manipulation of materials to the process of identifying design needs, researching and generating ideas as prototypes, models or proposals to promote intellectual and practical learning.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and processes of the subject within a meaningful and coherent context, not in isolation
- Apply specialised ICT hardware and software related to Product Design and Technology effectively, including desktop publishing, web based media, computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing systems (CAD/CAM).
- Be conversant with all practical elements of health and safety within the design and manufacture of products.
- Make informed choices regarding social, ethical and environmental issues which are related to the processes of design and manufacture
- Work effectively and in an organised manner within subject specific tasks
- Develop the skills, qualities and attributes required for working independently, as a participating member of a team and across organizations, through the close working relationships between students, lecturers, and industrialists.
- Appropriately implement the skills, knowledge, and understanding gained in both college and industrial situations
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- W240: BSC Product Design year 1 (BSC/PD)
- W242: BSc Product Design with International Experience year 1 (BSC/PDIE)