XUE-2044 Design and Manufacture 3
Rhedir gan School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
30.000 Credyd neu 15.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mr Dewi Rowlands
The module gives students the opportunity to work on a 'live brief' with an external partner company to research, design and manufacture a working and user-testable prototype of a new product or invention.
The module focuses on applying the design process to develop students' knowledge and understanding in project management, design thinking and empathic processes, modelling, prototyping, and the use of materials, components, and structures during a manufacturing procedure.
It also develops students' knowledge and understanding of safety and sustainable practices in designing and the skills needed for safe working practice.
It also develops students’ knowledge of and understanding of manufacturing processes, and raises an awareness of how the module outcomes can be applied in a professional context.
It also develops students' skills and competencies in Computer Aided Design, Finite Element Analysis and Digital Graphics up to professional level.
The brief for this module will be set by an external partner company, and the project will last for eight weeks in duration. The partner company will require a new original product/invention be generated, or a re-design of a current product, or a new product that competes against their market competitors. The module is split into four distinct phases, known as 'Crits'. Each phase requires a presentation be submitted/presented to the company - each phase corresponds a four-step design process. Theses presentations are assessed by college staff.
Crit 1 - presentation of market and user research, along with a definition of design intent and direction.
Crit 2 - presentation of concept ideas along with initial 'proof of concept' testing results.
Crit 3 - presentation of the final prototype outcome, along with usability/functional testing results.
Crit 4 - presentation of product evaluation/review, along with 'next phase' intent. (Presentations have a max time of 4 minutes each)
CAD, FEA and Digital Graphics will be taught via weekly exercises which are assessed.
See the learning outcomes.
A good overall grasp of all the learning outcomes and how they relate to one another.
A very good grasp of all the learning outcomes and the ability to reflect on their relationship to one another in an analytic way.
Understand the fundamentals of CAD/CAM systems
Develop their knowledge of manufacturing processes and begin to use a range of materials, structures, and components to manufacture a product
Apply the fundamental stages of the commercial design process in full to complete a given brief
Understand the fundamentals of FEA analysis
Understand the fundamentals of Digital Graphics for industrial and commercial application
Use digital media to improve presentation and design communication
Develop basic skills for analysing, researching, synthesising and evaluating information to aid designing
Understand basic materials selection, testing and application
Understand the fundamental health and safety issues involved with the given brief and demonstrate safe working practice
Appreciate environmental, ethical and social factors that affect the designing of products
Communicate clearly in oral and written forms
Be organised in the way they work and begin to consider how to manage their time
Understand how to begin applying the above in an industrial context (Module links XUC|E2047 / XUC|E2048)
|Crit 1 - Research Findings and Design Intent||10.00|
|Crit 2 - Breadth of Innovation, and Depth of Testing and Design Decisions||20.00|
|Crit 3 - Final Product Design Decisions, and Results of Prototype Testing||30.00|
|Crit 4 - Product Evaluation and Next Phase||10.00|
|CAD - exercises report||10.00|
|FEA - exercises report||10.00|
|Digital Graphics - portfolio||10.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||
Mixture of lectures, seminars, and practical sessions in the workshops.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Apply convergent and divergent thinking in the processes of observation, investigation, speculative enquiry, visualisation and/or making for problem solving and generating well-informed critical viewpoints
- Generate ideas, concepts, proposals, solutions or arguments independently and/or collaboratively in response to set briefs and/or as self-initiated activity
- Relate the manipulation of materials to the process of identifying design needs, researching and generating ideas as prototypes, models or proposals to promote intellectual and practical learning.
- Develop the skills, knowledge, and processes of the subject within a meaningful and coherent context, not in isolation
- Apply specialised ICT hardware and software related to Product Design and Technology effectively, including desktop publishing, web based media, computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing systems (CAD/CAM).
- Be conversant with all practical elements of health and safety within the design and manufacture of products.
- Make informed choices regarding social, ethical and environmental issues which are related to the processes of design and manufacture
- Work effectively and in an organised manner within subject specific tasks
- Develop the skills, qualities and attributes required for working independently, as a participating member of a team and across organizations, through the close working relationships between students, lecturers, and industrialists.
- Appropriately implement the skills, knowledge, and understanding gained in both college and industrial situations
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- X1WF: BSc Design and Technology year 2 (BSC/DTECH)
- W240: BSC Product Design year 2 (BSC/PD)
- W242: BSc Product Design with International Experience year 2 (BSC/PDIE)