English for IIM Preparation 1
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
20.000 Credydau neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Mrs Laura McKenzie
The aims of the module are to build on the existing English language ability of international students to prepare them for study at master’s level at Bangor University, in particular, to raise students’ measurable performance from a minimum of 5.5 IELTS to 6.0 IELTS or higher and to continue to increase linguistic competence and boost confidence in the use of English in the context of postgraduate studies. The approach of the module is to ensure that linguistic ability facilitates successful engagement in academic courses at level 7, to introduce students to the advanced skills of critical thinking, evaluation and creative engagement with study materials and to focus students on their need to develop as independent learners.
The module is structured as an intensive language and study skills course aimed at supporting students as they prepare for their postgraduate studies. This module builds on, extends and develops both language and academic study skills that the students already possess. Discourse channels are developed as specified in published IELTS band-descriptors, especially, for this module, IELTS band 6. The module seeks to consolidate and develop further oral and aural English language usage in order to encourage fluency and proficiency in pronunciation, effective note-taking from a lecture, contributions to debates and small-group discussions and presentation skills and oral discourse markers. The introduction of EAP skills in written language includes reading more complex academic texts and responding to comprehension questions, increasing reading speed; reading for gist, scanning and skimming, different written styles, purposes and contexts, basic summary, report and essay writing skills and the genre conventions of business texts, and the introduction of vocabulary building strategies and grammar usage within the context of Business Studies at postgraduate level. There is a basic introduction to British Culture The module also deals with a number of academic study skills, including understanding and avoiding plagiarism and introducing referencing, understanding language in different contexts - literature, the media and campus vocabulary, differentiating between fact and opinion/bias in writing, and time management.
Excellent (A to A*) (70-100%) Demonstrate across all material and techniques studied an aptitude and secure understanding, and apply the study skills acquired with a high degree of competency
Good (C- to B+) (50-69%) Demonstrate across the most of the material and techniques studied a sound understanding and apply the study skills acquired well enough to communicate effectively and with a good degree of fluency
Threshold (D- to D+) (40-49%) Demonstrate a basic understanding of some of the material and techniques studied and apply the study skills developed sufficiently to attain a satisfactory standard and achieve a pass grade in the module.
4) Utilise and consolidate study skills within the general context of UK culture and more specifically of higher education in the UK
2) Develop basic skills in reading for comprehension, meaning and gist
5) Write sentences and paragraphs using factual information, and on academic discursive topic
3) Develop strategies for paraphrasing and summarising from academic texts, utilising referencing techniques
6) Develop verbal fluency by expressing thoughts and ideas around business issues
1) Listen for gist, detail and specific information and take retrievable notes from a lecture
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Purchase of Core Textbook
Core Texts Cotton, D., Falvey, D. and Kent, S Market Leader (Upper Intermediate) Longman
McCormack, J. and Watkins, S. EAS Speaking Garnet Education: Reading Pallant, A. EAS Writing Garnet Education: Reading Slaght, J. EAS Reading Garnet Education: Reading
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BJ: MA Business and Marketing (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MA/BMK1)
- N3DG: MBA Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/BIF1)
- N2BB: MBA Environmental Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/EM1)
- N3DK: MBA Islamic Banking & Finance (with incorp pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/IB1)
- N1BL: MBA International Business (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/IBUS1)
- N2BC: MBA Information Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/INFM1)
- N2BA: MBA Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/M1)
- N4AM: MSc Accounting (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/ACC1)
- N4AP: MSc Accounting and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/ACCF1)
- N3CT: MSc Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/FIN1)
- N3CX: MSc Investment Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/IMGT1)
- N2AY: MSc Management and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/MANF1)