Studying Postgraduate Business in the UK
Rhedir gan Bangor University International College
10.000 Credydau neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
The aim of the module is to introduce students to the structure, demands and expectations of postgraduate study in business in the UK. There is an emphasis on the development of academic skills of particular relevance to study at postgraduate level and students are introduced to learning strategies that will be of particular benefit with particular emphasis on the VLE and the role of IT and of the Internet. Students will be helped to become more reflective and self-evaluative and to develop group working and team building skills.
The module stresses language and skills development but also aims to inform students about the postgraduate study in business they will embark on after completing the preparatory phase of the IIM. There is an emphasis on those skills which are going to be of particular benefit to students when they join their master’s. Students are introduced to the structure of a typical master’s in business and are guided through the approaches that are adopted and are made aware, in particular, of the demands placed on and expectations of master’s students. Much is made of the need for students to engage in both individual and group exercises building their confidence as they prepare for their master’s itself. Students engage in gathering and evaluating information from a wide range of written sources, including learned and professional journals and other publications and also make extensive use of the Internet as a source of material. They learn how to use the VLE and social media as a means of exchanging views, ideas and information. Students develop their written, oral and visual communication skills and develop learning strategies, both tutor-led, and involving independent study. They reflect on their own learning as individuals but also engage in team-building and working effectively in groups, appreciating the relevance of this to both studies and the business world. Students also reflect on the need to adopt high, professional standards as an aid to employability.
Threshold (D- to D+) (40-49%) Student has performed sufficiently well in demonstrating a basic knowledge and understanding of a number of topics studied to have achieved the lowest level of pass grades.
Excellent (A-to A*) (70-100%) Student has engaged consistently with the material studied in this module and attained a grade which indicates a high level of suitability for the next phase of the master’s programme
Good (C- to B+) (50-69%) Student has coped well with the material on UK Higher Education studied in this module and achieved a strong enough grade to progress onto the next phase of the master’s programme
2) Demonstrate report writing skills
5) Show an understanding of learning strategies and an ability to reflect on own learning needs and requirements
4) Demonstrate the ability to communicate orally in a clear fashion
6) Apply basic team working skills
1) Gather and evaluate material from a variety of sources
3) Make effective use of the VLE, the Internet and social media in enhancing their studies
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
|Practical classes and workshops||30|
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Students will be required to purchase the core text book
Ghauri, P. and Gronhaug, K.(2003) Research Methods in Business Studies: A Practical Guide FT Prentice Hall
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- N1BJ: MA Business and Marketing (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MA/BMK1)
- N3DG: MBA Banking and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/BIF1)
- N2BB: MBA Environmental Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/EM1)
- N3DK: MBA Islamic Banking & Finance (with incorp pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/IB1)
- N1BL: MBA International Business (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/IBUS1)
- N2BC: MBA Information Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/INFM1)
- N2BA: MBA Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MBA/M1)
- N4AM: MSc Accounting (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/ACC1)
- N4AP: MSc Accounting and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/ACCF1)
- N3CT: MSc Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/FIN1)
- N3CX: MSc Investment Management (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/IMGT1)
- N2AY: MSc Management and Finance (with Incorporated Pre-Masters) year 0 (MSC/MANF1)