Forest Ecosystems & Services
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Andy Smith
This module covers the concepts of forest ecosystem stability and destabilisation through anthropogenic perturbations, and provides an opportunity to learn and discuss current concepts of interactions between forest and air pollutants and the effects of global climate change. It also examines the ecosystem services that forests can provide and considers different approaches to valuing forests and forest ecosystem services.
Forest ecosystems: ecosystem theory and processes; genetic diversity in forest ecosystems. Anthropogenic impacts: increases in temperature, fire frequency, ozone and carbon dioxide levels; soil acidification and nitrogen deposition. Climate change impacts on tropical forests. Ecosystem services from forests: provisioning, regulating, cultural and supporting services. Valuing forests and forest ecosystem services: conventional methods – market value, NPV, etc.; cost-benefit analysis; payment for ecosystem services (PES).
Grade D- to D+ Seminar presentation covers several of the main points of the set paper but omits some important details. Slides are readable and the talk is audible, but there is little engagement with the audience. Some, but not all, of the questions asked by the audience are answered satisfactorily. The valuation report includes a conventional forest valuation and an attempt to value individual forest ecosystem services, but contains some numerical and other errors. Exam answers show a basic understanding of forest ecosystems, their biogeochemistry and stability, and of forest ecosystem services.
Grade C- to B+ Seminar presentation covers all the main points of the set paper but omits some minor details. Slides are clear, the talk is audible, and there is a good attempt to engage with the audience. Most of the questions asked by the audience are answered satisfactorily. The valuation report includes a conventional forest valuation and a valuation of many individual forest ecosystem services, with few numerical errors. Exam answers show a good understanding of forest ecosystems, their biogeochemistry and stability, and of forest ecosystem services.
Grade A- to A** Seminar presentation covers all the main points of the set paper in as much detail as time allows. Slides are of a high professional standard, the talk is audible, and there is excellent engagement with the audience. All of the questions asked by the audience are answered in detail. The valuation report includes a conventional forest valuation and a complete valuation of individual forest ecosystem services, with very few numerical errors. Exam answers show a comprehensive, detailed understanding of forest ecosystems, their biogeochemistry and stability, and of forest ecosystem services.
Describe and evaluate conventional and emerging methods for valuing forests and forest ecosystem services.
Show a detailed understanding of forest ecosystems and their biogeochemistry.
Critically discuss the concepts of ecosystem stability and the destabilisation effects of environmental pollutants and climate change.
Critically discuss the concept of forest ecosystem services.
|CYFLWYNIAD GRWP||Group Seminar Presentation (in class)||20.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3016.html
Rhagofynion a Chydofynion
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- D503: BSc Conservation with Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/CFIE)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 4 (BSC/F)
- D502: BSc Forestry with International Experience year 4 (BSC/FIE)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 3 (BSC/FOR)
- D50P: BSc Forestry with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/FP)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 3 (MFOR/FOR)
- D514: MFor Forestry with International Experience year 4 (MFOR/FORIE)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 4 (MFOR/FORP)