Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Paula Roberts
This course provides an overview of global energy supply and demand. It studies the most common renewable energy technologies and their role as alternatives or supplements to energy use involving the finite fossil fuel resources. After completing this module, students will have a general understanding of the key benefits and challenges of adopting renewable energy generation on a large scale and will have an opportunity to develop detailed understanding of one particular technology of their choice.
The first part of the module briefly examines current energy resources, use, efficiency and policy. The course examines alternative renewable resources for fossil fuels involving combustion technologies (e.g. biomass) and non-combustion technologies (e.g. wind, solar PV, solar thermal, heat pump technologies, hydro, wave and tidal) along with associated issues of energy storage and distribution. The course includes a field trip to smaller scale generation projects at a National Trust site, Hafod y Llan. The conclusion of the course is conference with visiting speakers covering renewable energy technologies and their application.
Grade A- to A** Detailed and accurate understanding of subject clearly elucidated in a well-developed style. High level of critical analysis and synthesis of subject matter. Clear evidence of wide reading around the subject. Arguments are clearly-constructed and excellently-evidenced.
Grade D- to D+ Fundamental points understood and satisfactorily explained in a generally clear manner. No major factual inaccuracies. Works lacks critical analysis and evidence of reading beyond lecture notes.
Grade C- to B+ Principal points well understood and clearly explained in a clear and concise manner. Indication of some critical analysis and synthesis of subject matter. Evidence of reading beyond lecture material. Arguments are well-constructed and logical.
Understand the range systems and technologies involved with renewable energy capture and storage.
Understand selected renewable energy technologies and their current and potential environmental benefits and costs.
Understand where each type of technology fits into potential end-uses.
An understanding of current energy resources, use and energy conservation measures, embedded in policy.
Demonstrate an ability to synthesize the key elements of complex renewable technologies and present them in the form of a briefing paper written for person with responsibility for a National Energy strategy.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1 field visits of several sites (8 hours)
1 conference with visiting speakers (3 hours)
1 revision and discussion session (1 hour)
Private study using electronic and printed resources, discussion with people with experience in the field and discussion with peers on issues associated with renewable energy capture and energy use
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Conduct fieldwork and/or laboratory work competently with awareness of appropriate risk assessment and ethical considerations
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Collect, analyse and interpret primary and/or secondary data using appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative techniques.
- Awareness of the concepts of spatial and temporal scale in understanding processes and relationships.
- Appreciation of the reciprocal nature of human-environmental relationships.
- Apply appropriate techniques for presenting spatial and/or temporal trends in data.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Collect and record data generated by a diverse range of methods.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/dxx-3507.html
Additional reading material i/ references are acknowledged in lectures
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- F900: BSC Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ES)
- F90F: BSc Environmental Science year 3 (BSC/ESF)
- F850: Master of Environmental Science year 3 (M/ENVSCI)
- F851: MEnvSci Environmental Science with International Experience year 4 (MENVSC/ESIE)
- D512: MFor Forestry year 3 (MFOR/FOR)
- D513: MFor Forestry (with placement year) year 4 (MFOR/FORP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- L700: BA Geography year 3 (BA/GEOG)
- L702: BA Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BA/GEOG4)
- DDK5: BSC Conservation & Forest Ecosys. year 3 (BSC/CFE)
- DDL5: BSC Conservation and Forest Ecosys year 4 (BSC/CFE4)
- 5DKD: BSc Conservation with Forestry year 3 (BSC/CWF)
- 5DLD: BSc Conservation with Forestry (four year) year 4 (BSC/CWF4)
- D501: BSc Forestry (with sandwich placement) year 4 (BSC/F)
- D500: BSC Forestry year 3 (BSC/FOR)
- F803: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 3 (BSC/GEF)
- F804: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry year 4 (BSC/GEF4)
- F807: BSc Geography with Environmental Forestry with Intl Exp year 4 (BSC/GEFIE)
- F800: BSC Geography year 3 (BSC/GEOG)
- F806: BSc Geography (4 yr with placement) year 4 (BSC/GEOG4)
- F840: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography year 3 (BSC/PGO)
- F84P: BSc Physical Geography and Oceanography with Placement Year year 4 (BSC/PGOP)
- F801: MGeog Geography year 3 (MGEOG/G)