Location Specific Knowledge
Rhedir gan School of Natural Sciences
15.000 Credyd neu 7.500 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Mark Rayment
The aim is to impart a thorough understanding of the importance of field work preparation. This will be achieved through acquisition of in-depth factual location specific knowledge, building on theoretical knowledge obtained in other courses, relevant to tropical forestry issues and development of practical skills with emphasis on (i) ability to collect, analyse and evaluate appropriate qualitative and quantitative information, and combining this with (ii) choice of appropriate research tools in order to plan high quality field work.
The course is a preparatory course for the Joint Summer Module (DXX4501). The course includes training in locating and assessing location specific literature; conducting critical online discussions as part of project preparation; preparing and analysing empirically based project proposals; selecting appropriate data collection instruments; finalising a fieldwork project proposal. The location of the course will vary from year to year.
The student displays a basic understanding of the principles and basic knowledge of subject. Relevant information is discussed to basic depth the written assignment and tasks. Most of the key issues are identified but there may be some omissions or gaps in understanding. Links between theory and practice are not well developed.
The student displays sound knowledge of subject, ability to contribute constructively to debate, ability to write perceptive and well-argued reports. Descriptively presents information in the written assignment and tasks.
The student demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of subject and clear ability to pull together various elements of the course material. Evidence of background reading. There are no major areas omitted and the student demonstrates an ability to critically analyse and evaluate relevant information. A clear, concise, descriptive style of presentation in the written assignment and tasks
In-depth location-specific factual knowledge of tropical forestry;
An ability to collect, analyse and evaluation qualitative and quantitative information
An ability to design a coherent research project proposal and select and design relevant data collection instruments
An ability to reflect on risks and ethics in relation to data collection in developing countries.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Teaching is carried out through internet based e-modules. Each module contains well defined learning objectives, literature and exercises, including multiple-choice self-tests and mediated online discussions. Students will work in inter institutional virtual groups to arrive at project proposals that will form the basis for field work in the Joint Summer Module.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Develop and identify research question(s) and/or hypotheses as the basis for investigation.
- Recognize and apply appropriate theories and concepts from a range of disciplines.
- Consider issues from a range of interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Apply subject knowledge to the understanding and addressing of problems.
- Understand the provisional nature of information and appreciate competing and alternative explanations.
- Recognize the moral, ethical and social issues relating to the subject.
- Demonstrate awareness of the importance of risk assessment and relevant legislation
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- D5AB: MSc Sustainable Forest and Nature Management year 1 (MSC/SFNM)