Coaching and Mentoring
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nathan Bray
This module provides you with an opportunity to form and develop professional relationships as a coach or mentor. You will learn about communication skills and coaching/mentoring models, and begin to integrate these skills into your practice as a coach/mentor. Your workshops and lectures will present theories and practical examples of this work, and you will then be expected to apply this knowledge in practice by working as a coach or mentor in your workplace for at least 10 hours. This important activity gives you a valuable opportunity to practice your coaching/mentoring skills and gain a deeper insight into the process from an applied perspective.
Workshops will introduce you to the main concepts in coaching and mentoring, and provide you with an opportunity to explore the topic by considering how you can support the development of others as a coach or mentor.
A lecture series will also provide insights from the helping professions. These insights will include consideration of both coaching and mentoring(e.g. models, skills, practical applications, etc). Each lecture will be accompanied by a reading list accessible through the University library.
Assessments will enable you to critically apply your understanding in an essay and a reflective journal mapping your experiences as a coach or mentor.
A* to A- • Insightful awareness of communication and interpersonal skills for supporting others • Comprehensive knowledge of Coaching and Mentoring • Detailed understanding with no factual errors • Critical analysis showing evaluation and synthesis of ideas • Originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Extensive independent research • Logically defended arguments with evidence for all claims • Highly focused and well structured • Excellent presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Correct format in appropriate referencing style
B+ to B- • Some insight into communication and interpersonal skills for supporting others • Strong knowledge of Coaching and Mentoring • Clear understanding and mostly free of factual errors • Some analysis showing critical evaluation and links between ideas • Some originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Some independent research • Coherent arguments with evidence for most claims • Focused and well structured • Good presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Mostly correct format in appropriate referencing style
C+ to C- • Limited insight into communication and interpersonal skills for supporting others • Some knowledge of Coaching and Mentoring • Understanding of the main concepts, but with factual errors in non-core concepts • Limited analysis showing only obvious points of evaluation and links between ideas • Highly limited originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Highly limited evidence of independent research • Arguments presented but lack coherence with evidence for only some claims • Focused but with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Acceptable presentation with appropriate expression • Attempt at correct format in appropriate referencing style
Critically evaluate coaching and mentoring techniques and strategies, with an applied understanding of the risks, costs, and benefits of using these helping approaches to facilitate both individual and organisational behavioural change.
Analyse own communication, interpersonal, resilience, and coaching/mentoring skills with honest critique and insight into the generation of reflective professional development action plans.
Synthesise and apply communication skills, interpersonal skills, resilience fostering skills, and coaching/mentoring models in a workplace setting to support others in leading change.
|Critical Analysis Essay||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
80hrs of independent study to complete associated readings and produce assessments
Two 5hr workshops (Introduction and Advanced)
10hrs of pre-recorded lectures available for on-demand access
10hrs of coaching or mentoring with at least one client in the organisation or workplace
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Demonstrate an applied understanding of coaching models in work with others.
- Critically reflect on own skill development as a coach and/or mentor
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ila-4005.html
Lovell, B. (2019). Bringing Meaning to Coaching in Medical Education. Medical Education, 53(5) 426-27. Garvey, R., Garvey, B., Stokes, P., & Megginson, D. (2017). Coaching and mentoring: Theory and practice. Sage.