Work-Based Action Research DL
Rhedir gan School of Medical and Health Sciences
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Nathan Bray
Lewin (1946) described action research as the process of doing research and taking action at the same time. He argued that it used a "a spiral of steps, each of which is composed of a circle of planning, action and fact-finding about the result of the action". This module will provide you with a practical understanding of how to engage in action research in the workplace. You will be introduced to the models of action research and guided on the ways that you can apply this approach within your own professional organisation.
A lecture series will guide you through the main concepts within the field of action research, including the ethics, limitations, and practical requirements.
Small group seminars will provide a forum for you to explore your understanding of action research and begin applying the skills in practice.
Assessments will enable you to plan a small independent action research project within your own organisation.
B+ to B- • Some insight into how to design and implement an action research project • Strong knowledge of action research • Clear understanding and mostly free of factual errors • Some analysis showing critical evaluation and links between ideas • Some originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Some independent research • Coherent arguments with evidence for most claims • Focused and well structured • Good presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Mostly correct format in appropriate referencing style
C+ to C- • Limited insight into how to design and implement an action research project • Some knowledge of action research • Understanding of the main concepts, but with factual errors in non-core concepts • Limited analysis showing only obvious points of evaluation and links between ideas • Highly limited originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Highly limited evidence of independent research • Arguments presented but lack coherence with evidence for only some claims • Focused but with some irrelevant material and weaknesses in structure • Acceptable presentation with appropriate expression • Attempt at correct format in appropriate referencing style
A* to A- • Insightful awareness into how to design and implement an action research project • Comprehensive knowledge of action research • Detailed understanding with no factual errors • Critical analysis showing evaluation and synthesis of ideas • Originality in approach, interpretation, and/or voice • Extensive independent research • Logically defended arguments with evidence for all claims • Highly focused and well structured • Excellent presentation with accurate and appropriate expression • Correct format in appropriate referencing style
Hold an evidence-informed and comprehensive knowledge of models of work-based inquiry.
Critically evaluate the risks and ethical implications associated with work-based action research.
Plan a work-based research project and understand how to draw conclusions for organisational and system improvement.
|Action research project||60.00|
|Action research presentation||40.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
1hr weekly seminars for 11 weeks. Seminars will be delivered live online.
Ten 1hr lectures covering the core subject content. Some lectures may be delivered pre-recorded with scheduled access to lecturers for questions live online. Other lectures may be delivered live or online.
79hrs of independent study to complete associated readings and produce assessments
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence
- Understand how to carry out empirical studies, design research questions, generate hypotheses, collect data using a variety of methods, analyse data using quantitative and/or qualitative methods, and present and evaluate research findings.
- Use a range of statistical methods
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures relating to research in the health sector.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the applications and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
Goblygiadau o ran adnoddau ar gyfer myfyrwyr
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/ila-4903.html
Costley, C., Elliott, G. C., & Gibbs, P. (2010). Doing work based research: Approaches to enquiry for insider-researchers. Sage. Reason, P., & Bradbury, H. (2007). The SAGE handbook of action research: Participative inquiry and practice. Sage.